Opinions on weird tip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dardeau

Reaction score
I just received a 210mm deba from a well respected maker that I own other double bevel knives from. The tip is lifted slightly from the spine on the ura side, pictures attached.

I emailed pictures and got a prompt response:
Yes, our single bevel knives are made like your picture. This is not only
for your knife. All our knives have the slight curve.
We think the blade center should be the edge.
You will understand it after using and sharpening on your stone.

This seems at odds with the knowledge I have of single bevel sharpening. To hit the tip during uraoshi I would have to lift the handle, and that doesn't seem right.

Opinions?

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1437703115.618144.jpg
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1437703131.367778.jpg
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1437703146.178707.jpg

Cool, so I would lift up slightly as I got to the tip so I would make contact?
I haven't cut any fish, but the grind all the way around feels and looks good.

Cool, so I would lift up slightly as I got to the tip so I would make contact?
I haven't cut any fish, but the grind all the way around feels and looks good.

yup... there are actually quite a few knives like this out there... not always intentional, but sometimes

Thanks for the input. I won't worry about trying to return it, and will let yall know how it cuts, I've got 60# of 4-6 snappers coming in today.

yup... there are actually quite a few knives like this out there... not always intentional, but sometimes
Jon,

When this is an intentional design, what is the idea/purpose behind it? It was my understanding that the ura should always be flat.

The tip made no difference while working with the snaps. This worked really well, I'll sharpen tomorrow and ipdate

Jon,

When this is an intentional design, what is the idea/purpose behind it? It was my understanding that the ura should always be flat.

not exactly... it can sometimes have a bit of rise as you approach the tip, as a function of distal taper rather than a bend. Its not all of the time, but it does exist and is not wrong.

Who is the maker Andre? You can PM me if you don't want to announce it, I'm just curious. I'm not in the market for any knives.
Inquiring minds like to know.

Wow this is really peculiar. I am so curious to know what the true answer is cuz homie on that site perneto posted , I think he did a Damn good job. What do you think Jon? My opinions are molecular compared to Jon's empire of knowledge

Long answer:

After sharpening the grind on the front of the knife is nearly perfect with one very small low spot that sharpened out quickly. On the ura side the grind is flawless. I applied a tiny bit of pressure and the tip contacted perfectly. This knife is definitely a winner.

how low grit on the stones did you go when you added pressure on the ura side? bcuz i cant get my head around the fixing low spots on bevel side solving the straightening spine issue.

That's because they wee two separate things. There was one tiny low spot in the bevel grind, same as every other single bevel knife I've owned.

The as I was doing uraoshi on a fine stone applied a tiny amount of pressure with my finger tips to bring the entire tip in contact with the stone. Looking at where the stone contacted the ura grind it is perfect. There is no spot where the ura bends. It has been ground with the intentional taper in mind.

Wow this is really peculiar. I am so curious to know what the true answer is cuz homie on that site perneto posted , I think he did a Damn good job. What do you think Jon? My opinions are molecular compared to Jon's empire of knowledge

so, the spine not touching the stone is actually rather common in single bevel knives and doesnt effect performance. Its mostly the result of a different angle of approach when sharpening the ura (and finger placement for pressure), but sometimes it is just the way the makers make them. Because it doesnt effect the performance of the knife, few, if any, craftsmen will see it as a defect.

It can be fixed easily, but isnt always worth it (time, money, and steel-wise... in terms of wasting steel).

That being said, greg did a great job. I've actually sent customers to him before when they are too far away for me to help with. I've been happy with his work.

Back