If you could compete in iron chef against one great chef who would it be?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
So growing up we all had idols im pretty young 24 and grew up watching morimoto, julia child, jaques pepin, ramsey,micheal roux etc. So if you could battle it out one on one with one or these guys/girls who would it be? For me it would be Chen Kenichi, I remember being so inspired by him as a young adolesent. I have never in my lire seen such an amazing display of culinary activity as his battle foie gras against a tour d'argent exécutive chef(his name escapes me). I have no doubt watched that episode on YouTube no less than a dozen times. Which suprised me given his deep concentration into szechuan cuisin(his father is basically the father of it) if mememory serves me right. That aided deeply in my love of fusion cuisin and had led to some of my favorite culinary advenures i.e. osso bucco potstickers and several asian and african themed corn beef and cabbages. Anyways end rant curious what others say.

I always thought it would be fun to hang out for a day with Julia Child or get drunk with Justin Wilson whom I just happened to see on TV 25 years ago, the first time I came to the US. Of the living ones it would be Jaques Pepin, but I would much more be interested in a day of leisurely hanging out, cooking, chatting, and having a few wines. As a lowly hobbyist I would not be a competitor against any of these pros anyway.

That said, I have never been a big fan of Iron Chef. More generally, I am puzzled why everything has to be a battle and a competition these days. And, honestly, some of the 'Italian' or 'French' creations I saw on the original Iron Chef were downright gross. But I may just be weird.

Stefan

Not necessarily compete against, but I'd like to cook with Pierre Koffman

I was fortunate enough to meet Hiroyuki Sakai about 10 years ago.

Sakai peeling an apple with a nenohi was a turning point for me to get into japanese knives

Marco was an inspiration, albeit nuts. I would choose him too.

Years and years ago: I remember going to his first restaurant, Harvey's in Wandsworth, with a stunning girl I was deeply in love with. Half way through dinner, Marco came out and had a full on rant at some customer a couple of tables away (Harvey's was a small restaurant). Marco is about 6' 4" wore some kind or bandana thing, his hair looked dripping wet and he was sweating buckets. His chef's whites were not all that white.

Having completed his rant he turned to go back to the kitchen and caught sight of Susan. He looked at me, looked at her, looked back at me and said "very good choice". This was said quite softly and totally calmly and it was very embarrassing for us as most of the restaurant clapped.

I ate at all of the restaurants where he personally cooked. Outstanding chef. Brilliant man. But nuts.

These are the guys I'd like to hang out with and learn from.

Thomas Keller
Daniel Boulud
Jose Andreas
Sounds like you need to come back and spend more time in DC. Pretty soon Keller will be here, and DB has established himself (half a block away from Andreas' Zaytinya).

Sakai was my favorite of the Iron Chefs, although they were all pretty great. Outward he was the least intense of the group, yet I think he consistently put out the best food. It would be an honor to cook against him.

Definitely Guy Fieri!
I want to get blasted with his donkey sauce!

Not compete, but would love the opportunity to cook with Jaques Pepin. I'd really be happy just to watch him make a few omelettes up close and personal:)

I know this is going to sound a bit odd....but if I were to compete AGAINST someone, I'd pick Alton Brown...I think I'd have a chance of winning, for starters, plus I think I'd earn a little respect from him and maybe hang out for a bit...we have many personal things in common.

Definitely Guy Fieri!
I want to get blasted with his donkey sauce!

I want to say something highly inappropriate....but since I'm a gentleman, I won't even suggest it.

I know this is going to sound a bit odd....but if I were to compete AGAINST someone, I'd pick Alton Brown...I think I'd have a chance of winning, for starters, plus I think I'd earn a little respect from him and maybe hang out for a bit...

Speaking of I just discovered Cutthroat Kitchen on demand (yeah I know like 7 years late) and I gotta say . . . this is extremely painful

line up any of the new batch of hot women chefs and i am good to go.

i wont win, i may as well be able to look across kitchen stadium and think.."damn!"

Would be great to learn nigiri from jiro

For me it would either be jamie Oliver or Antonio Carlucio. Nothing super special about them but i love their food and cooking styles

listen I wouldnt even beat Sandra Lee so Im gonna pick someone fun and say Hugh Laurie

I would also have to say Marco Pierre White. I would be destroyed, but there is nothing I wouldn't do to see that man cook at his best one more time.

My skills are minimal at best, so I'd pick Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet, c. 1970).

David Chang. Honestly i respect the man. But his attitude is repulsive, it is a pain to watch mind of a chef sometimes. Im a line jockey, and have minimal chops. I feel like i could get close to tying him. A balls out iron chef style environment is so brutal: you dont know what your working with, desert might be crazy, not your own kitchen or crew. Kinda equalizing.

Also guy fieri. That parody menu though. One of the dishes is having your face shoved in a leather bag of oil lol

David Chang. Honestly i respect the man. But his attitude is repulsive, it is a pain to watch mind of a chef sometimes. Im a line jockey, and have minimal chops. I feel like i could get close to tying him. A balls out iron chef style environment is so brutal: you dont know what your working with, desert might be crazy, not your own kitchen or crew. Kinda equalizing.

Also guy fieri. That parody menu though. One of the dishes is having your face shoved in a leather bag of oil lol

Have you read momofuku at all? I mean he's pretty much a rags to riches kid with a passion for food. I think he's pretty awesome.

Back