Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woods I Use for Handle Work - Q&A / Information

Dave, you won't work with redwood because of compacted dust and yet you like ironwood? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Dave, you won't work with redwood because of compacted dust and yet you like ironwood? LOL
    Yeah, they're completely different to me. I find ironwood to work easily because it's so hard and dense yet redwood just falls off the knife with a glance of sandpaper.

Here are some charts of irritants in wood dusts, not even maple is really safe to work with.
    here and here with potency ratings, scroll down

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Moral of the story, wear a mask when working wood?

I got hit with a "cumulative" latex allergy. 15 years professional use and no problems, then one day I took my glove off and my hand was completely covered it a rash and swollen. Confirmed the latex allergy later that night when a different latex "glove" caused the same problem... elsewhere. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Moral of the story, wear a mask when working wood?
    Seems like longsleeves and gloves too. In an ideal world of course.

Mmhh, I'm wearing a respirator (well, most of the time ) and glasses, but never thought about long sleeves. I don't think I even have anything with long sleeves anymore... As for the respirator, I used to just wear a simple msak, but with my beard that never did anything good. These days I think if I can smell it, I need to pull the mask tighter. But if I wantd to smell something, Honduran rosewood and thuya are nice...

Other than that, I basically agree with Dave, except for the spalted woods, of course. Ebony makes me cough and sneeze, so I am avoiding that. I just tried a piece of snakewood again, knowing all the issues. But K&G keeps claiming it can be stabilized and I picked up a stabilized piece, so we will see what happens.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

Stabilization Accepted From
    WSSI
    K&G

Woods I Won't Work With
    Spalted anything (rotted wood) *some exceptions may apply

Got another spalted block in from an unknown stabilizer source and it buckled after being cut open. Garbage!

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Confirmed the latex allergy later that night when a different latex "glove" caused the same problem... elsewhere. Lol.

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Got another spalted block in from an unknown stabilizer source and it buckled after being cut open. Garbage!
    Do you still have the piece of wood?
    I would be interested in seeing a photo if possible.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

I got another one that buckled on me, one side only, this time spalted hackberry. I realized it as I was gluing up the scales....I'm not a happy camper.