Hello from Tokyo!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicalbears

Reaction score
Hey all, Tony here. I'm an American living in Tokyo, Japan. Moved here about a year ago and will probably be here for another 2-3, though that is a currently a bit TBD. I'm a baker by trade, but as we came here for my spouse's job I'm doing the "househusband" thing for the time being. After a year I finally got my first Japanese knife (I believe an usuba), thanks to a favorable exchange rate and my birthday being just around the corner. It seems an excellent knife, and so far I'm very happy to have it. That said, the purchase was a little un-informed, and moving forward I'd like to be better informed, as well as making sure I'm taking care of them as best I can.

IMG_8906.jpg
IMG_8909.jpg

Jealous of you in Japan!! All the knives are within reach! And welcome!

Welcome to the forums. I'm just an 2.5 hour Shinkansen ride away in osaka.

Btw looks like a nakiri to me. An usuba is only sharpened on one side while a nakiri is sharpened from both sides.

Hello, I'm in Chiba and working in Tokyo :) . Nice knife. You can get a lot a "trainer knifes" cheaply on Yahoo Auctions, if you're interested in sharpening, restoration...

Back