Old Forgecraft high carbon with a Wa handle.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyScarGo

Reaction score

I found this on the bay. A nice forgecraft with a Wa handle, wood unknown, but appears to be a horn ferrel. Came with a pretty decent edge, but I fixed that. Now it is wicked sharp with a 30 degree inclusive convex finished to 3 micron mirror. It also came with a saya.

These are great knives and take and hold a good edge. I really like those knives. I think they sort of special...For a production knife, the thickness is relatively thin.

That looks like something that may have come from a kkf'er-sweet!

Thank you all, I had a search alert for Forgecraft knives on the Bay, with the full intention of turning it into one like this. Then this popped up.
I always thought I was a stainless guy, but I have developed an appreciation for the carbon and the interesting way it patinas and ages.
I guess I am linking the finer older things b/c I am getting older, I'll let people I meet judge whether or not I got finer :dontknow:

I was thinking that looked like a Mike Henry handle from the pics. Ya done good.

That is a Henry conversion. I can't remember who it was for originally...but I remember doing the work.

Hey Mike, Good to see you here. Can't seem to send you pm. Pls hit me with email at davebrewer1 at gmial dot com.

Hi All,
The knife came from Ocean City NJ

The listing says the handle is ebony and black buffalo horn with a buffalo pin.

I never though I was a carbon guy, But I AM A CARBON GUY. I just love this knife.
I like it because is old school ( Forgie) and really old school ( wa handle)
I think the combo is terrific. I am building a collection, and at first I thought this one would fit nicely on the periphery, but this old forgie is moving closer to center stage!
This knife is a 10 in blade and now I am on the hunt for an 8 inch blade to convert.

Who can do the conversion for me? I don't have the skilz :-(

let me tell you from first hand experience, 8in forgies need a lot more work in the thinning dept. than the 10 in. the 10 in is just about the best proportions for the Forgecraft the 8 inches tend to need to go on a diet. If you keep that in mind you'll be fine. No surprises

Thank you for the wise advise.
When I find someone to make the conversion on an 8", I will plan on a thinning diet for the blade as well.

myscargo, thats one of mine, glad you like the knife. The 10" knife is the go to size for me in a pro kitchen. I just didn't seem to be using it as much as i should be. I like to tinker with knives/rehandles but haven't really been able to make the leap into making quality wa handles which is why i picked that one up from aframes, very good quality. Forgies are great blades, relatively cheap(without the rehandle) great shape and above average steel make them a real sleeper of a knife in my opinion. Hope you can get someone to hook up that 8" blade as well. I use mostly japanese made knives at work but theres just something about rockin a good old piece of american steel. Now I'm kind of regretting getting rid of this one haha.

myscargo, thats one of mine, glad you like the knife. The 10" knife is the go to size for me in a pro kitchen. I just didn't seem to be using it as much as i should be. I like to tinker with knives/rehandles but haven't really been able to make the leap into making quality wa handles which is why i picked that one up from aframes, very good quality. Forgies are great blades, relatively cheap(without the rehandle) great shape and above average steel make them a real sleeper of a knife in my opinion. Hope you can get someone to hook up that 8" blade as well. I use mostly japanese made knives at work but theres just something about rockin a good old piece of american steel. Now I'm kind of regretting getting rid of this one haha.

They are great knives, and a very good score. Sorry if I mistakenly took credit for someone's work... looks like you did a great job sir.

Back