Suggestions for Cannes Trip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageInc

Idiot
Reaction score
I'll be going to Cannes on Tuesday and will be there for a week.

Does anyone here have any experience with the city? Where to eat, areas to avoid, cool shops, bars, etc.? Any advice is appreciated! I will also be going to Monaco for a day or two in that week. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Cannes is not that fantastic. Concrete city famed for its film festival but with little else to commend it.

St Paul de Vence is a brilliant hilltop village nearby, well worth a visit. Some notable restaurants including one full of art from Picasso, Cezanne, et al. Eze, between Cannes and Monaco is likewise worth a visit.

St Tropez is fun but a bit of a drive from Cannes.

Cannes is not that fantastic. Concrete city famed for its film festival but with little else to commend it.

St Paul de Vence is a brilliant hilltop village nearby, well worth a visit. Some notable restaurants including one full of art from Picasso, Cezanne, et al. Eze, between Cannes and Monaco is likewise worth a visit.

St Tropez is fun but a bit of a drive from Cannes.

I will also be in San Tropez for a day. Anything there I should check out?

Just walk around the harbour and the old town. Check out the yachts and the girls. I prefer to have lunch on the harbour front when I am there - sure it is touristy and a rip off, but still good fun. The beach is OK if you are into beaches. Hotel Byblos is a bit of a classic if you want to see the old style, but not spectacular to stay in and the pool is small. Can get a decent lunch there, but I would still go down to the waterfront. A day is enough in St. Trop unless you are on a boat.

Don't expect too much from Monaco either. It is VERY built up. Worth walking around the Grimaldi palace or whatever it is called up on the hill, but personally I would rather visit Eze and have lunch there. Spectacular sea views.

I've already booked a suite at Hôtel Juana. I like small hotels.
Recommendations have been noted. I'll try to get to Eze. Thanks!

If anyone else wants to chime in, I'm all ears.

Cannes has some charm, but I assuming you're flying into Nice? If so, it's a much more interesting town. Head along the coast, about 5 minutes down the road away from the airport, there's a antique flea market 1 block off to the far end of town just before you head up the hill and around the point (ocean on your right, so I guess heading East). Fun to browse the French antiques and tons of little shops to duck into for a quick bite or interesting shopping. Go 5-6 blocks in from the coast and more shops around a nice central park.

Monaco is an animal unto itself. Bring comfortable shoes, plan on doing alot of walking. We were just there for the Film Festival and GP, can't remember any of the restaurant names though, during that week it was more about who was hosting the party. I do remember JimmyZ was a lot of fun at night if you're into the nightclub scene.

Back