Thread: Shop is close to being finished!

Shop is close to being finished!

Still need to do a few things, but I've been able to build a few benches and buy a few tools to start making my own knives. Still need to do some experiments with heat treating before I jump straight in, but at least I'm on my way! Here's a little of what I've done so far.

Here's the grinder and disc sander set up for work.

Here's a metal topped table with the new kiln.

And last, but not least, the drill press, compressor, and in the black box is a plasma cutter.

I'm not allowed to build a forge in the garage, but there's a forge a couple of miles from my house, so I'm not sol there. It's amazing how many people you meet in your area once you get talking that have forges, or are in the process of building one.

Thanks for looking!

How do you like the 12' disc grinder? I've been weighing between that one and a 9' disc with variable speed.

Most of my time so far has been consumed by building the shop (running all the electric), and fixing up the rest of the house (hadn't been updated since 1973), to be able to comment on it too much. I just felt that since I could afford the bigger sander, it would come in handy when I start making bigger knives. I didn't want to regret not getting the bigger one down the road. I'll report back in a bit, after I get some knife blades ready for handling.

i see you also got the surface grinder attachment for the tw-90... i'll be curious to hear how that works for you. Been thinking of picking it up myself, but i dont really need it... it would be more just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i see you also got the surface grinder attachment for the tw-90... i'll be curious to hear how that works for you. Been thinking of picking it up myself, but i dont really need it... it would be more just for fun.
    Yeah, I've got a lot to play with. Now I just need to find more time in the day to get everything done. Seems pretty simple to use, and should make some things a bit simpler for doing stock removal, and keeping things consistent.

I would suggest saving these photos.
    The shop will never look this clean again.

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    I would suggest saving these photos.
    The shop will never look this clean again.
    I have them saved on a raid drive, so they will never disappear. Trust me, the shop is already getting cluttered.

Does that mean you will be posting some action photos?
    You know, ones with the dust flying and lots of projects in the works.