How bent is too bent..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butters

Reaction score
I just got a 210 Kato in the mail from a retailer and it's bent along the length of the knife to the left, quite noticeably. It's an expensive knife with a reputation for being hard and somewhat brittle, so I'm not comfortable trying to straighten it myself.

I'm actually very disappointed the retailer didn't try to fix it before sending it - it's obvious and even a cursory look is enough to spot it.

So.....how bent is too bent? I've included some pictures below. I waited a long time to get my hands on one of these and I don't want to give it up just yet. The retailer won't have another in stock so a return/swap is out of the question. I'm also located in a different country so even just sending it back will take ages.

I have a small but decent collection of knives and I know they're hand made. I don't expect perfection, and poor handle f&f is par for the course with Jknives, while nearly all knives need a trip to stone town before they're properly sharp. I think this is more serious however and I'm worried it will have an effect on the performance of the knife. I've emailed the retailer to get their take on the matter, and I don't think it's fair to name them until they've had a chance to answer.

I'd like to get some opinions on the best course of action. Do I just accept that the most expensive knife I've ever bought has a curve in it? Or should I send it back and perhaps wait 12 months for another..?

Kato%202_zps5i5rjxsk.jpg

Kato%201_zpsqbh5csjt.jpg

That looks fixable. I'm sorry to see that you also have a bent Kato. I know your pain.

If it's not straight it's bent and knives should be straight unless it's for some specific task(s).

send it back

I'd go with this, because you won't want some uncertaintly hanging over the knife. If you felt you could fix it, it'd be a different feeling and then you could feel confident and happy about the purchase.

A bit of the benefit of doubt to the seller (JNS? Tosho? ...) as knives can potentially bend in transit through no particular fault. You've got temp and air pressure changes, etc. Perhaps you'll've noticed yours bend slightly just waiting around at home? It happens, and a bit of bending repair skill is maybe a requirement for the knife-nut.

Send it back...btw Kato handles aren't known as crappy...also, Kato's aren't very brittle though I'm not suggesting you try to fix it.

Ahh, I was hoping you'd say 'just bend it back, it'll be fine...' I really don't want to send it back as it was tough to get.

It could be the cold hold on the plane that pushed the bend, or an overzealous postal worker. I certainly hope it didn't leave the factory and make it through several pairs of hands with this warp. The retailer (Tosho fwiw) has apologised and offered an exchange on the next lot they get, or a full refund. They can't unbend it from where they are so have done the best they could. They were quick to respond too, which I appreciated.

Doesn't everyone hang a little to the left..?

Meh. I'm gonna give it a gentle bend and see what happens.

I hear your frustration. To make you feel better (?), let me share my experience.
I also have a 210mm gyuto and four other kato's.
I could find something that I don't like with all of them; blade not straight, imperfection here and there.
Kato's knives are known for uniqueness and cutting power/ability, not for f/f.
If I were in your shoe, I'd just straighten the blade myself.
It's not a biggie (seems it is but truly it is not).
You will be able to straighten it and it won't affect performance at all

I certainly hope it didn't leave the factory and make it through several pairs of hands with this warp.

Well, not at all. Knowing the maker, he made, he sent it, it was received by the seller, and probably only 1 or 2 would have seen it there. Working with mild warps is a sometime knife-care skill, I think.

Wonder why Tosho said they couldn't fix it. They are trying to straighten my Tanaka right now :S

so, how'd the fix go? If you're having trouble, let me know. Maybe i can explain the straightening process a bit better. Its a simple thing to do, but not easy to do well.

So, it turns out that Kato knives are made of cheese and are super easy to bend.

I gave it a gentle bend just to see if it would move and I over bent it the other way.. After some bending and twisting I now have a straight knife.

I also had another email from the retailer offering to cover postage and take it back and straighten it, or replace/refund. Happy they tried to help, but in the end I was making a mountain out of a molehill..

Is the edge straight? That was a problem for me after straightening the spine of mine.

To my eyes yes, but I'll find out for sure when it hits a flat stone I guess. The spine was easy but the cutting edge and twist was a bugger to do. Involved a vice, large shifting spanner, straight edge, lots of eyeballing and very gentle tweaks. The steel is remakably soft and easy to bend.

Back