Info on Case XX carbon chef knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5370H55V

Reaction score
Today I trolled the local flea market and managed to buy two 10" chef knives by Case. Both of these are marked "CASE XX CHROMIUM" and "200-10", which makes me think they're the same model from different periods of production.

Top one looks unused and has "CA 200-10" instead of plain "200-10". It also has Pat. No. 2147079 marked on the blade.
The bottom one is well used and has some surface pitting. It also has a full tang instead of a half tang like the first example, and the scales are a black composite rather than wood. The second knife feels heftier and is better balanced, and I would like to restore it for use if possible.

There's very little information on the Case kitchen knives, and most of what's available is on the more modern stainless versions. Does anyone have any information on these two knives, and how well Case carbon kitchen knives perform compared to others?

not necessarily true... isn't stainless at least 11 percent chromium or some such

The chrome is only on the outside of these knives. Case xx knives are actually pretty good. They Sharpe. Up nicely , reasonable edge retention for home use. My father has a set he has been using for over 40 years.

Back