Is this a CCK 1103 or a 1113?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dd786

Reaction score
So i bought this cleaver from a store in china town. Actually the only place in London that i could find that sold CCKs.
I asked the lady for the carbon steel version (1103) and this is the one she gave me. I am however not entirely sure she understood what i meant when i asked for the carbon steel because of the way she hesitated when i was asking. It didn't have an ink stamp on it like the ones on the CCK website have but It cost £58 anyway.
I tried the leamon juice test for about 60 seconds on the top of the blade and the bevel and no marks as you can see.
Here are a couple photos of it.
Does it look like carbon or stainless? I would appreciate any help :)

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i397/dand4/Untitled.png

http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/dand4/media/20150727_200605.jpg.html

Looks like 111x to me. 110x would come with a blue stamp, and is generally a bit more dull, and matt, not as shiny as yours.

KitchenSlicer1.jpg

BTW some knives ship with a film covering up the blade. It could be interfering with your lemon juice test. You could remove it all with acetone before testing reactivity.

Pretty should it is carbon, and pretty sure it is a 3.

I own both Carbon and Stainless, on the stainless, it says stainless in Chinese. Yours doesn't.

I just realised i put this in the wrong forum. Sorry guys!
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

IndoorOutdoorCook, I'm not sure if there's a film on it. do you mean like those plastic sticker things that are on phone screens when you buy them new? Iv used it for a couple of weeks so i doubt it...

oldcookie, thanks, i guess that's conclusive then!

There is a film of lacquer on it to prevent it from rusting on the shelf. That will partly go away when you sharpen the knife. Or you can remove it with acetone as IOC suggested.

Oh i see!
Thanks for the info. A real wealth of knowledge and kindness here :)

Back