Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dardeau

Reaction score
There is a 270mm kasumi Shigefusa yanagiba for sale on A Frames. Heads up yall.

I was pretty close to buying the yanagi last week, exchange rate kept me from snatching it up. Us Canadians have it pretty hard currently :(

Yeah same over here in Aus. Our dollar is just tanking and it is killing my knife purchases

I was pretty close to buying the yanagi last week, exchange rate kept me from snatching it up. Us Canadians have it pretty hard currently :(

yeah....Canadian dollar is really low right now, especially comparing with US dollar. Can't really afford foreign goods....:(

I just removed the immediate temptation of possibly purchasing said knife.

And I did it for all of you fine gentleman.

It was strictly for your sakes.

I am a selfless martyr.

You're welcome.

Japan woodworker has a few too I noticed but they're suspiciously cheap. Anyone know what the deal is?

I just removed the immediate temptation of possibly purchasing said knife.

And I did it for all of you fine gentleman.

It was strictly for your sakes.

I am a selfless martyr.

You're welcome.

You are a true gentleman. Saved me a small fortune. Thanks Josh :wink:

They're legit. I've bought more than a few from them. All good :thumbsup:

I was just curious what the difference in price was about. Seem to recall there are a few smiths at Shigefusa, does one of them command a higher price? I saw a 300mm+ shig yanagi for somewhere around 300, a 210 gyuto for not much more.

I think it might just be because of the USD JPY exchange rate.

I think it can also have to do with when the knife was ordered/ paid for by the Vendor.
I know with So Yamashita from Japan Tool the knives that come up for sale on his site have been on order for 3 years +

Welp, false alarm. Just woke up to an email from Takeshi at A-Frames. Apparently he sold it to somebody else on Tuesday, but was having issues with his site marking it as sold.

Who stole my Shig- er... I mean, who snapped up that Yani? Killer deal, even without the saya.

Thanks for the heads up on Japan Woodworker , I just ordered a 180mm Shig Nakiri that amazingly is priced as a clearance item. They had 1 more in stock on sale this am. Anybody looking for a great Nakiri should grab it, I have the 165 mm size also and it is a great blade . BB

Welp, false alarm. Just woke up to an email from Takeshi at A-Frames. Apparently he sold it to somebody else on Tuesday, but was having issues with his site marking it as sold.

Who stole my Shig- er... I mean, who snapped up that Yani? Killer deal, even without the saya.

I feel sorry for you. Takeshi's deals on Shigefusa's are always awesome. I missed out on one ajikiri while waiting for his reply a couple of years ago.

There is a 300mm on Japan woodworker for 400 if you want that instead. :D

There is a 300mm on Japan woodworker for 400 if you want that instead. :D

Yeah... I've been mulling that over all day. After the initial rush of 'purchasing' the previous yani, followed by the crushing depression of realizing it wasn't mine, well- I don't know if I can put myself through that again.

Yeah... I've been mulling that over all day. After the initial rush of 'purchasing' the previous yani, followed by the crushing depression of realizing it wasn't mine, well- I don't know if I can put myself through that again.

You should just start bidding on that Kramer on eBay!

Unlike kitaeji model, kasumi yanagiba aren't that hard to find, many japanese website have them in stock for about 50000~55000 japanese yen.

You should just start bidding on that Kramer on eBay!

I just bought the 300mm yani over on Japan Woodworker instead. Figure I might need both of my kidneys the rate I'm going, so the Kramer is out of the question.

Fingers crossed I won't get a repeat of the last go around...

I just bought the 300mm yani over on Japan Woodworker instead. Figure I might need both of my kidneys the rate I'm going, so the Kramer is out of the question.

Fingers crossed I won't get a repeat of the last go around...

Well I guess you just settled my decision of not buying it :p

For those who care, there is a used Shig kitaji Yanagiba on Yahoo Japan auction...

Edit: Sorry cookie - no links to active auctions. Rule was established so that members would not find themselves bidding against each other and running the price up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops sorry. Just stumbled upon that one thought I would let people know.

Havox07, you inbox is maxed.

No worries cookie. And if someone wants to find it they can.

When I looked the high bid was 40 cents though my math might be off....

Back