Fat: the 6th taste?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would argue the 7th taste, as burn/char has taken spot #6.

Burn/char? Wouldn't these fall under bitter?
Marc, do you get Plate magazine? They did a nice piece on burn/char a couple of issues ago. I can send you my copy.....I would argue burn/char is a little different than bitter though.

That's what i meant, stupid auto correct, but good reference to duck fat, everything is better when cooked with duck fat

Not only duck fat makes things tasty. Chicken fat and pork fat is also delicious. Butter... Fat is good. What food would be without fat ? Cardboard meal.

We need a poll!

I know that this may be sacrilege, but if you could only taste two of the 7 flavors (if we include char and fat), which would you choose?

I'm taking sweet and fat.

In my personal experience I find that fat and char are more akin to heat (chilli) than to the other flavors.

I find it difficult to categorise the flavor, but I find that their unique feel in the mouth characterises them to as much if not a greater extent than the taste.

We need a poll!

I know that this may be sacrilege, but if you could only taste two of the 7 flavors (if we include char and fat), which would you choose?

I'm taking sweet and fat.

I'll just have a heavy dose of umami...ok and some sweet for desert.

Fruit is pretty good and its not too fatty ;-)

I enjoy fruit and sugar so much that I question my habits, but you can't make a meal on sugar alone.

Almost everyday I press 3-5 oranges, blend with a banana then scrape two passion fruits for more than a half litter of love. There is more sugar in there than in a pop. I know fructose is a killer but the juice is too good to give it up. I drink that usually for breakfast, with 3 eggs lightly cooked in butter and a good piece of home made bread, with some more butter on top of it. In fact I can eat this at any moment or the day if I crave that juice. The smoothie is the best part of it, it really switches on a bulb in my head.

I love fat, sugar and salt. I think there is even more than 7 groups of taste, I think this is infinite, who can tell what is a "base" taste and what is not ?

Roger, I'm with you. You can make me breakfast anytime. If you really want to AMP up your smoothie, add 1/2 bottle of Kombucha to it. Here's my breakfast off the BBQ from Sunday AM. Just testing out the plancha I had made for it.

4E4D0022-98B5-4603-9AB6-AAEED0E3D060.jpg

D4E3DC4C-D23E-4F37-9428-C3EE661C07B1.jpg

Chris, it is. I had a 3/8 inch plate made to fit inside. Prob could have had it made in 1/4 but ya know, I usually err on the side of overbuilt. I really had it made to do Neapolitan Pizza, but because its so substantial, I can just treat it like a plancha. So I seared of some steaks the other day, did some salmon filets, corn... the performance is simply out of the world. The thing has such a high specific heat and thermal density that it will stay too warm to the touch, four or five hours after the fires gone out. Its like a locomotive in the grill. LOL

BTW, Home Depot is having a sale for two more days. With cart ship to store for $259. Stupid screaming good deal. the cart is built like a brick $hit house too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...arcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650

Chris, it is. I had a 3/8 inch plate made to fit inside. Prob could have had it made in 1/4 but ya know, I usually err on the side of overbuilt. I really had it made to do Neapolitan Pizza, but because its so substantial, I can just treat it like a plancha. So I seared of some steaks the other day, did some salmon filets, corn... the performance is simply out of the world. The thing has such a high specific heat and thermal density that it will stay too warm to the touch, four or five hours after the fires gone out. Its like a locomotive in the grill. LOL

BTW, Home Depot is having a sale for two more days. With cart ship to store for $259. Stupid screaming good deal. the cart is built like a brick $hit house too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...arcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650

D@mmit, Dennis! I think you're about to cost me even more money!

that plancha looks awesome...cooking breakfast on a plancha (i.e. smooth side of a cast iron griddle) is one of my favorite things...what's the attachment in the photo? temp probe?

Back