Help me choose 2 knives - Petty 180-210mm and ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceramik

Reaction score
So, here is the deal... I need 2 knives for 2 rather different circumstances, but they will probably both be abused quite badly.

Knife #1 will be a petty 180-210mm. Primary use will be as an expo knife. Stainless or stainless clad. 90% sure I will be getting a Gesshin Ginga SS here, but I wanted to get thoughts on this from other people who work in a pro environment before pulling the trigger.

Knife #2 will be for my S.O. when she helps in the kitchen at home. She generally just helps with menial tasks but enjoys the time we spend cooking together, so she wants to be more involved. This is where I am most open to suggestions, as I don't have the perspective of a home cook. Gyuto, petty, santoku (I would never even consider this style for myself)? I'm open to suggestions. I have plenty of knives that I can let her use, but I want to give her one of her own. I would lean towards SS or Stainless clad here as well, but I don't think it matters much. My own preference is carbon, but this isn't for me...

US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
#1 Petty 180-210mm
#2 Open to suggestions

Are you right or left handed?

#1 & #2 Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

#1 180-210mm
#2 210-240mm??? Open to suggestions

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

#1 Yes
#2 No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

None. My style is that form follows function, so I have zero interest in paying more for a pretty handle or other useless add ons. I'm totally fine with poor F&F on the handle, as long as the blade is great. Her style is similar, but may appreciate something prettier.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

#1 Pro
#2 Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

#1 Expo (light veg prep, slicing cooked protein, opening baked 'taters, etc.)
#2 Veg prep

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push or draw.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I think Damascus is gaudy, so let's avoid that.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

#1 Should be on the lighter side, but without too much flex.
#2 Should also be on the lighter side, but with some degree of durability. Rounded spine and choil don't matter, as I can easily take care of that myself. Well balanced is ideal.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

#1 Doesn’t really matter
#2 Good release is the most important of these

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

#1 Needs to make it through a few days of work, which shouldn't be too hard given its intended use
#2 Doesn't matter. It will stay at the house; same place my stones live.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

#1 Sh*tty poly boards
#2 End grain block

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Your probably bang on for the petty. For the other knife I'd go takamura, crazy thin and destroys product, stainless and very well made $150-170 180 and 210 model. It is r2 so don't use it as a hammer lol. A santoku would also work, you can get a shigefusa for $200. If you want something cheaper a basic kohetsu or tadafusa is $100ish and is a solid knife but carbon but it's clad so its easy to take care of.

As for your work blade, sounds like a solid choice.

I'd go with something with a bit more heft for the SO...since she would value food release a bit more, maybe a Tanaka? James of Knives and Stones is doing a makeover so she could get one with a nice handle and you wouldn't have to spend a lot...food release is excellent.

My experience may assist here ...

My wife started with a 100mm paring, moved pretty quickly up to a 150 petty as skills improved. I bought her a 190 Hiro AS Santoku, thinking this would be perfect and also because she liked the less scary point. It was a step too far. Too big and heavy. She found it intimidating and generally unappealing.

Now she favours a 180 Nakiri. She does a LOT of veg prep and is very confident wielding it for all kinds of produce, from butternut squash to strawberries. The blunt tip is not a hindrance and is actually confidence inspiring for her. She hasn't picked up the petty since.

I'd go a 165-180 Nakiri for #2. Maybe an Itinomonn V2 core with SS clad from JNS. Can't go wrong with this IMO.

Cheers,

J :thumbsup:

Oo, I have always wanted to try a Shig, so I like that thought... Not sure if I could bear to end up jealous of her knife though... Haha.

Nakiri is a good idea as well, especially because I already have a 180 Konosuke HD that she could try out and see if it agrees with her. I doubt that she will do anything requiring a thin tip for a while, and can always use something I already have for the time being.

For your knife, #1, a lot has been written here re: the Line Knife that may be applicable. Some of the makers here have released their own versions. A good opportunity to pick up a semi-custom for your kit. Plug the following into google to search for more info: site:kitchenknifeforums.com line knife

For her knife I like the stainless Gyuto, either the Gesshin Stainless in 210 (Japanese Knife Imports) or the Suisin Western Inox in 180 or 210 (Korin). Both of these are well made and come in close to $100. I've bought both for different ladies and they're always well received. Note: both of these have western style handles.

And welcome to the forum.

Suisin Inox Honyaki gyuto, say 210 mm would be a very nice choice for knife #2...it's a bit pricey though. Also second the suggestion for the Takamura R2 210 mm gyuto.

Further support for the Takamura R2, i just bought a new one after selling mine off a few months ago. Of all the knives ive bought that is the only one i actually bought again because i missed it so much. Phenomenal knife for a very good price.

For your knife, #1, a lot has been written here re: the Line Knife that may be applicable. Some of the makers here have released their own versions. A good opportunity to pick up a semi-custom for your kit. Plug the following into google to search for more info: site:kitchenknifeforums.com line knife

For her knife I like the stainless Gyuto, either the Gesshin Stainless in 210 (Japanese Knife Imports) or the Suisin Western Inox in 180 or 210 (Korin). Both of these are well made and come in close to $100. I've bought both for different ladies and they're always well received. Note: both of these have western style handles.

And welcome to the forum.

Yeah, searching the forum for line knife and petty is what led me to hone in on the Gesshin Ginga SS petty. If I saw the Ealy line knife come up on B/S/T I would probably jump on that; that is a sexy knife and I like the steel. I had a Devin mid-tech Chuka a few years back in AEB-L, but I sold it because the Chuka just doesn’t fit my style.

Is the Suisin western gyuto the same quality as the wa honyaki? I would guess not given the vast price difference...

Seeing lots of support for that Takamura R2.

I would consider the Suisin IH in a different class than the Suisin Western Inox. The SIH is very nice laser, I use mine for larger qty of tomatoes, citrus or anything acidic. The Suisn Western is more an intro knife - not a laser, but a good looking, inexpensive knife aimed at the housewife or young pro market. To a new user the differences may be lost in nuance.

FWIW the Gesshin Petty, in my experience, is a little short for board work but great in hand and as a small slicer/trimmer. Same can be said for SIH and Tad Pettys. From your description a short Gyuto or line knife may be more useful. One of Carter's Funy..whatever he calls them knives may be the best of both worlds for you.

You did not (that I saw) put price targets in your requirements so you're geting some recs that vary quite a bit.

Don't know if the OP ended up choosing the two knives, but I was reminded to make mention that if food release is very important for knife #2, I was thinking possibly the Suisin Inox Honyaki and Takamura R2 being lasers and likely having flat grinds may not be the best for that. Anyone who own/owned either of these comment on this aspect?

Well, no purchases yet... I asked my gal what she thought, and for now she will be using my Konosuke HD Nakiri to see if she likes the style (it doesn't have great release, especially with dense and moist foods like potato and zucchini), but it is a nice starting point which will help us narrow down the most important traits for choosing a knife.

Haven't got the line knife yet either because a) I really liked the Ealy line knife suggestion and am waiting to see if one (in AEB-L) comes up on B/S/T, and b) I also just bought a Kato 270 gyuto for myself and a Gesshin Uraku 240 gyuto as a wedding present, which means I should hold off on more knife purchases for a bit anyways.

Back