Recommendations for a 240ish mm Honyaki Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Never thought I'd end up using this myself, but I figure getting some "sober second thought" is always a good idea. It may also give me some perspectives that I hadn't considered before.

I'm sort of between a Mizuno DX and a Watanabe, but wouldn't mind hearing what else is out there.

I left out some of the noob questions about cutting boards, sharpening, etc.

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Lefty

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa/Japanese, I am (will be) getting a custom made by a vendor

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240ish, I've used gyutos from 150mm - 300mm and find this is the perfect size for me 99% of the time (although there are times when smaller/larger is better suited)

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no, and I don't want another one either

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
around the $1000 mark would be preferred

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
at home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
mostly vegetables (kale, spinach, mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc.) and deboned/boneless meats (beef, chicken, pork, etc.)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I have a Watanabe Pro mirror polished Honyaki blue #2 270mm Kiritsuke Gyuto that is waiting for a handle. I had big plans for this knife, but the more I think about it, this knife will be too big for everyday use at home (it's basically a 300 with the tip cut back), and I am thinking of getting something smaller, but am still on the fence about it

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch 99% of the time, occasionally I may use hammer

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
something that will be a bit more wieldy, I would prefer Honyaki as opposed to Damascus

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
i'm coming to appreciate more of the "workhorse" geometry, so it doesn't need to be a laser

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
i can live with minor aesthetic things such as rounding a choil, edge retention is a plus as well

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I sort of put some of this in the preamble at the top, but I'm quite certain I'm going for something in blue#2 Honyaki, but am open to hearing other thoughts. Watanabe seems to be the obvious winner, as it would also go well with some of my others, but at the same time, there may be other names worth considering.

Thanks KKF

jeebus! Good luck TJ- hopefully my little bump here brings this to the attention of someone who's in the know!

Just checked it out at JKI, they seem to be out of stock and a bit more than I was wanting to spend unfortunately.

Just an FYI spoiledbroth regarding the jeebus comment, if I get the 240 gyuto I'd have to put my 270 K-gyuto on BST or there'd be no way I could afford to buy handles after that.

I've actually got a white 2 one in stock not on the site and more stuff coming from them shortly (before aug. 20th)

Thanks Jon I'll keep it in mind, I'm leaning towards the blue steel models personally (I already have a 240 white #1 Honyaki). The one keithsaltydog mentioned is the one I was looking at and it is several hundred more than I was thinking of, the USD exchange rate isn't really on my side either at the moment. Not sure if someone like me would necessarily notice the edge retention difference between blue and white, but I have some blue mammoth tooth for spacer material that I think would be a better match for blue steel.

keep in mind that blue steel won't give a clear hamono as the white steel.

That's one thing I noticed when comparing the blue 2 and white 1 I currently have. It's not the biggest deal for me, although it does look nice. I can make it out in the mirror polished blue 2, it shows up a lot better on concave side of my kensaki yanagi, but doesn't compare to the white steel.

Are you planning to order a custom left hand ground blade or get a right handed blade and deal with the asymmetry?

I only ask because in my experience some makers are not willing to make left handed versions, even for an additional fee.

Mizuno made me a left hand ground Suminigashi for no additional fee, it's not a honyaki, but I'm sure you'd have no issues getting a left handed one of those from them either.

:scratchhead:
I know it sounds crazy or perhaps even OCD but it's one of those aesthetic things (not that I'd notice a difference in the steel itself) for the handles. I know the handles would look good regardless but it's a color matching thing I suppose. Likewise I asked Mikey to use some white muskox horn in a handle for a white steel Honyaki I currently have.

Are you planning to order a custom left hand ground blade or get a right handed blade and deal with the asymmetry?

I only ask because in my experience some makers are not willing to make left handed versions, even for an additional fee.

Mizuno made me a left hand ground Suminigashi for no additional fee, it's not a honyaki, but I'm sure you'd have no issues getting a left handed one of those from them either.

So far I haven't had too much of an issue coping with the asymmetry of any of my knives (I actually like right handed parers because I cut towards myself off the board), but that is one reason I was intrigued by the Mizuno option from JCK. It'd be a lot more than another Watanabe (can't remember 100% for sure but it looks like their blue Honyaki has gone up in price, I thought it used to be in the high three figures), anyways I have to decide what I'm going to do with the 270 k-tip first unless I want to blow my rehandle budget. The unpleasant surprise when I pulled it out of a storage box yesterday has me thinking a bit harder about this…

FWIW, the blue steel and white steel names have nothing to do with the actual color of the steel. IIRC, blue steel was called blue paper steel because it was originally wrapped in blue paper by Hitachi.

Thanks knyfeknerd, in hindsight I didn't type that post very well. I'm aware of that aspect, always see the term "blue/white paper steel" used here and there. I know having used knives in both and looking at side by side, I'm cant see a visual difference in the steel itself, although I've heard some say they can patina differently, but I haven't used mine equally on the same foodstuffs so can't comment on that part, although I think it'd be cool if blue steel turned color like this:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/545-ugliest-knife-ever?p=362142#post362142

Using blue and white spacers with blue and white steels is more of a personal preference for identifying and consistency if nothing else, sorry if I confused the matter earlier.

I do think it's a cool idea to do the corresponding colored material to the steel type tj. Very personalized! Looking forward to some pics.

Thanks knyfeknerd, in hindsight I didn't type that post very well. I'm aware of that aspect, always see the term "blue/white paper steel" used here and there. I know having used knives in both and looking at side by side, I'm cant see a visual difference in the steel itself, although I've heard some say they can patina differently, but I haven't used mine equally on the same foodstuffs so can't comment on that part, although I think it'd be cool if blue steel turned color like this:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/545-ugliest-knife-ever?p=362142#post362142

Using blue and white spacers with blue and white steels is more of a personal preference for identifying and consistency if nothing else, sorry if I confused the matter earlier.

Yes that is a true blue steel nakiri, a relic of a lost time. I found that priceless treasure at my parents' place. A forgotten art in today's hyper-commercialized world of mass produced trash!

I should grab a few pics of some of the "treasures" at my folks' place. To put it into perspective, I can remember when I graduated and moved out and bought from Costco the J.A. Henckels International 10 piece knife block set… I thought I had discovered a new league of knives and sharpness that I could have never fathomed previously. I still have that set but never use it

Back