a few new knifes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew78

Reaction score
so itook the plunge and bought a few new knifes,bought a bit of a mix of diffrant steel types as i wanted to see how i got on with them and then i will build on my buys each month with a new new buy .just wondering you guys opinions on them
first up is
Kotetsu Iron Clad Petty (150mm)
https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/brands/kotetsu/iron-clad/petty-150mm#addToBasket

Konosuke Ginsan Gyuto 240mm

Sakai Takayuki 33-Layer VG10 Damascus Hammered Santoku Knife 180mm
http://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-ta...mascus-hammered-tsuchime-santoku-knife-180mm/

Sakai Takayuki 33-Layer VG10 Damascus Hammered Vegetable Knife 160mm
http://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-ta...scus-hammered-tsuchime-vegetable-knife-160mm/

looking forward to getting them now and giveing them a try

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange links you have...curious why you chose an iron clad petty and the rest stainless? Many would go the other way...stainless petty and carbon for the rest...also curious why you would choose three fairly short knives (150, 160, 180)?

Hope you enjoy them...

Strange links you have...curious why you chose an iron clad petty and the rest stainless? Many would go the other way...stainless petty and carbon for the rest...also curious why you would choose three fairly short knives (150, 160, 180)?

Hope you enjoy them...

iron clad is just the name,there stainless clad the same as the others .ironclad is a name for a old japanese war ship that so i heard is what the knifes shape reminded the smith of when making them .a little confusing i admit . both the sakia knifes are quite similar in size too yes but i wanted to see how i got on with vg10 steel .if im not keen on them i will sell them onto one of my guys in the kitchen who is looking at some better quality knifes for himself as im personally leaning towards the shape of the iron clad knifes but didnt want to spend a lot before i tried one ..

Welcome to knife world, leave your wallet at the door. Empty. :groucho:

K tipped carbon petty? That's different. Hope that after you use it some we'll hear more about it. Living in Fla, a primary use for a petty is citrus and other acidic foods so I go stainless for the short ones.

I would find the Santoku and Nakiri largely redundant but YOLO. It appears you like the hammered finish, I suggest a Yoshikane with same from Epicurean Edge the next time you're shopping.

Good looking knives all. Enjoy.

You will end up using the kono and kotetsu for everything and selling the sakai takayuki knives :) have fun getting to know them. That kotetsu is a cool little blade, looks like a shallot machine.

And +1 to what Dave said about the yoshi hammered knives from EE if you want that finish. Would be a real step up! the problem with the sakai takayuki knives I think is that so much of the cost goes to cover cosmetics, at the expense of performance. But YMMV.

The Kotetsu is SG2 clad with stainless. Seems like a nifty petty. The entire line intrigues me. I'm trying to get Shibata san to make me a 300mm sujihiki.

thanks for all the replys guys.to be fair i want really sure what i was after so tried a few difrant styles but yes i quite like the hammered finish but not at the cost of performance .these are still after all my work blades .im really leaning towards the kotetsu sg2 knifes.like the way they look and the steel plus edge retention is the main focus for me but ofcourse i want them to look nice as well as perform :)

I'm sure this will get you started fine and likely help figure out which direction to go with your next knives. Be sure and post some pics and let us know what you think. Do you currently sharpen your own knives?

I'm sure this will get you started fine and likely help figure out which direction to go with your next knives. Be sure and post some pics and let us know what you think. Do you currently sharpen your own knives?

yer should be fine to see how they all are,im leaning towards the j handle style now rather than European.
yes i do sharpen my own knifes .i have 800,2000,3000,5000,6000,8000 duel stones .but its only been recently that iv really started to get to grips with them and become fairly proficient on them.

"All our knives also come with free blue plasters" :lol2:

Hope you don't need to use them! Enjoy your new knives.

well the kotetsu came today with 3 blue plasters in the box ,thankfully i havent had to use them :wink:
first thoughts are very good after some cutting and use for dinner tonight ,has a really good edge ootb and feels very nimble in the hand.for a petty its also fairly versatile and very comfortable in the hand.so so far im really pleased with it.will see how it performs over the next few days at work ..just waiting on the others to arrive tomorow now

Back