Quantcast
Have you ever misplaced, lost, forgotten where or destroyed one of your edged treasures?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever misplaced, lost, forgotten where or destroyed one of your edged treasures?

Unhappy Have you ever misplaced, lost, forgotten where or destroyed one of your edged treasures?

Hello, guys

I am brand new to the forum, so I have been spending the last week or so reading all the past threads and posts. While I was reading a few names of makers came up and one in particular jumped out at me. I couldn't quite put my hand on why that name was so familiar. Until today.
    You see most of my career I have used antique and vintage chef knives, original Sabatiers, Joseph Rogers &Sons and hundred year old Henckels. I loved them because they where carbon steel and individually handmade and sharper then anything I could find. The only thing that I knew about Japanese knives was that they looked weird and were hard to sharpen. One day about a dozen or so years ago I was doing a craft show and met some Japanese tourist who were looking at the hunting knives I made for a hobby. (old ground files and antler handles, hell, i even made some handles out of rib bones.) They liked the primitive look of then and told me that their brother was a knife maker in Japan and that he was trying to get into the US market. We talked awhile and I decided I would help out by buying some of his knives. I bought a set of If I recall 5 or 7 of his sushi knives for like $150.00 which at the time was a lot of money to me. I was in between gigs then. Anyway, about two months later I receive a package in the mail from Japan, which I had totally forgotten about. I open the box up and wrapped in beautiful handmade rice paper were these paper boxes and inside were these pretty little handmade kitchen razor blades.
    I was immediately intimidated by them and vowed that I would never use them until I could sharpen them and take care of them properly. Unfortunately it wasn't very easy back then to find good waterstones or even anyone in the states who knew anything about these types of knives. There was no Kkf. So, I put then away and forgot about them for 12+ years until today. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember where the hell I put those damn knives. I might be sitting on a fortune somewhere or not. I don't think they were his custom pieces just his everyday stuff. The maker of the knives Shinichi Watanabe! Yeah right!
    What I want to know is have any of you guys ever lost misplaced, forgotten where, had stolen or otherwise destroyed one of your edged treasures. This way I don't feel so bad for misplacing and forgetting where I put mine. In my defense I did have a stroke a while back not that that is an excuse.lol
    Thanks, son

Nice story, hope they turn up somewhere! I am bad for putting things in a "safe place where I won't loose them" Only to be not able to find them for a couple months and have a eurika moment and a "Thats where you are, who was the idiot who put that there?" I usually turn out to be the idiot!

Welcome to the forum!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I did lose one of my favorite knives for a couple of days after a trip but nothing like your story. That would be pretty cool if you were able to find them again.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I did lose one of my favorite knives for a couple of days after a trip but nothing like your story. That would be pretty cool if you were able to find them again.
    Haha, there was one left in the wrong cardboardbox once (in the one that got NOT shipped).

I misplace my knives all the time. Usually I think the worst, (someone ganked it) but it will usually show up a week or so later in a weird spot. The Masamoto honyaki was missing for two weeks and showed up under the passenger seat. Doi tuna knife was gone for awhile and I had just fired a short time slacker. I thought for sure he took it. Thankfully I found it before I went looking for him. (this is a small town)

P.S. I have never had a knife stolen. (people know I'm crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    Haha, there was one left in the wrong cardboardbox once (in the one that got NOT shipped).
    Gee, thanks Rottman! Now, everybody knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I misplace my knives all the time. Usually I think the worst, (someone ganked it) but it will usually show up a week or so later in a weird spot. The Masamoto honyaki was missing for two weeks and showed up under the passenger seat. Doi tuna knife was gone for awhile and I had just fired a short time slacker. I thought for sure he took it. Thankfully I found it before I went looking for him. (this is a small town)

P.S. I have never had a knife stolen. (people know I'm crazy)
    In this city 21000 restaurants, hundreds of thousands of cooks and no shortage of thieves. They keep stealing my paring knives. I've lost 5 in the last two years. Chef knife would be too noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Hopefully, I find them soon. I'll post picks if I ever do.

Thanks, guys

Keep the stories coming.

Wink

back in high school, i was in the culinary arts program. i was starting to build my knife kit, had a tojiro, a few forschners, and my pride and joy, a Wusthof utility knife (i know, wusthof, but i thought it was dope way back when). it was a $90 knife, more than my tojiro gyotou, and i loved the thing to death. i was a kid, so i was an idiot, and i needed to prove my knife was sharper than my buddies Chicago Cutlery knife. so, naturally, i stabbed the cutting board. oh, how smart i am! the first 1/2 inch of the tip bent out 45 degrees. i tried bending it back, but it didnt work. so i took it to the Shop teacher, and he put it in a vice, and tried to bend it back. it snapped. so, trying to get the tip back, he took it to a bench grinder. it was a really low grit, it singed the metal, destroyed the temper, and made it look ike a retarded steak knife. on top of all that, he didnt even get the tip back. and thats just one of MANY stories i have. i might ust be the clutsiest knife-head on this forum. so trust me, youre not alone, bro!