Have you ever misplaced, lost, forgotten where or destroyed one of your edged treasures?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
Hello, guys

I am brand new to the forum, so I have been spending the last week or so reading all the past threads and posts. While I was reading a few names of makers came up and one in particular jumped out at me. I couldn't quite put my hand on why that name was so familiar. Until today.
You see most of my career I have used antique and vintage chef knives, original Sabatiers, Joseph Rogers &Sons and hundred year old Henckels. I loved them because they where carbon steel and individually handmade and sharper then anything I could find. The only thing that I knew about Japanese knives was that they looked weird and were hard to sharpen. One day about a dozen or so years ago I was doing a craft show and met some Japanese tourist who were looking at the hunting knives I made for a hobby. (old ground files and antler handles, hell, i even made some handles out of rib bones.) They liked the primitive look of then and told me that their brother was a knife maker in Japan and that he was trying to get into the US market. We talked awhile and I decided I would help out by buying some of his knives. I bought a set of If I recall 5 or 7 of his sushi knives for like $150.00 which at the time was a lot of money to me. I was in between gigs then. Anyway, about two months later I receive a package in the mail from Japan, which I had totally forgotten about. I open the box up and wrapped in beautiful handmade rice paper were these paper boxes and inside were these pretty little handmade kitchen razor blades.
I was immediately intimidated by them and vowed that I would never use them until I could sharpen them and take care of them properly. Unfortunately it wasn't very easy back then to find good waterstones or even anyone in the states who knew anything about these types of knives. There was no Kkf. So, I put then away and forgot about them for 12+ years until today. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember where the hell I put those damn knives. I might be sitting on a fortune somewhere or not. I don't think they were his custom pieces just his everyday stuff. The maker of the knives Shinichi Watanabe! Yeah right!
What I want to know is have any of you guys ever lost misplaced, forgotten where, had stolen or otherwise destroyed one of your edged treasures. This way I don't feel so bad for misplacing and forgetting where I put mine. In my defense I did have a stroke a while back not that that is an excuse.lol
Thanks, son:scared4:

Nice story, hope they turn up somewhere! I am bad for putting things in a "safe place where I won't loose them" Only to be not able to find them for a couple months and have a eurika moment and a "Thats where you are, who was the idiot who put that there?" I usually turn out to be the idiot!

Welcome to the forum!

I did lose one of my favorite knives for a couple of days after a trip but nothing like your story. That would be pretty cool if you were able to find them again.

I did lose one of my favorite knives for a couple of days after a trip but nothing like your story. That would be pretty cool if you were able to find them again.

Haha, there was one left in the wrong cardboardbox once (in the one that got NOT shipped).:razz:

I misplace my knives all the time. Usually I think the worst, (someone ganked it) but it will usually show up a week or so later in a weird spot. The Masamoto honyaki was missing for two weeks and showed up under the passenger seat. Doi tuna knife was gone for awhile and I had just fired a short time slacker. I thought for sure he took it. Thankfully I found it before I went looking for him. (this is a small town)

P.S. I have never had a knife stolen. (people know I'm crazy)

I misplace my knives all the time. Usually I think the worst, (someone ganked it) but it will usually show up a week or so later in a weird spot. The Masamoto honyaki was missing for two weeks and showed up under the passenger seat. Doi tuna knife was gone for awhile and I had just fired a short time slacker. I thought for sure he took it. Thankfully I found it before I went looking for him. (this is a small town)

P.S. I have never had a knife stolen. (people know I'm crazy)

In this city 21000 restaurants, hundreds of thousands of cooks and no shortage of thieves. They keep stealing my paring knives. I've lost 5 in the last two years. Chef knife would be too noticeable.

Hopefully, I find them soon. I'll post picks if I ever do.

back in high school, i was in the culinary arts program. i was starting to build my knife kit, had a tojiro, a few forschners, and my pride and joy, a Wusthof utility knife (i know, wusthof, but i thought it was dope way back when). it was a $90 knife, more than my tojiro gyotou, and i loved the thing to death. i was a kid, so i was an idiot, and i needed to prove my knife was sharper than my buddies Chicago Cutlery knife. so, naturally, i stabbed the cutting board. oh, how smart i am! the first 1/2 inch of the tip bent out 45 degrees. i tried bending it back, but it didnt work. so i took it to the Shop teacher, and he put it in a vice, and tried to bend it back. it snapped. so, trying to get the tip back, he took it to a bench grinder. it was a really low grit, it singed the metal, destroyed the temper, and made it look ike a retarded steak knife. on top of all that, he didnt even get the tip back. and thats just one of MANY stories i have. i might ust be the clutsiest knife-head on this forum. so trust me, youre not alone, bro! :D

back in high school, i was in the culinary arts program. i was starting to build my knife kit, had a tojiro, a few forschners, and my pride and joy, a Wusthof utility knife (i know, wusthof, but i thought it was dope way back when). it was a $90 knife, more than my tojiro gyotou, and i loved the thing to death. i was a kid, so i was an idiot, and i needed to prove my knife was sharper than my buddies Chicago Cutlery knife. so, naturally, i stabbed the cutting board. oh, how smart i am! the first 1/2 inch of the tip bent out 45 degrees. i tried bending it back, but it didnt work. so i took it to the Shop teacher, and he put it in a vice, and tried to bend it back. it snapped. so, trying to get the tip back, he took it to a bench grinder. it was a really low grit, it singed the metal, destroyed the temper, and made it look ike a retarded steak knife. on top of all that, he didnt even get the tip back. and thats just one of MANY stories i have. i might ust be the clutsiest knife-head on this forum. so trust me, youre not alone, bro! :D
I have actually seen alot of that sorta thing. It's amazing how smart we are at that age.lol

Never really lost a knife.

Back in my pre J blade youth, I gave my pride and joy 10" Schaff Goldhamster to the guy that did our house knives for sharpening.
Came back with a nice wavy, extra-coarse hollow grind. :eek2:
I almost 'lost' that one right up his arse!

My last job in NY, only my clam & oyster knives used to go 'missing'. Go figure! :scratchhead:

I lost a Henckels 4 inch paring knife a long time ago. I think it got tossed in the garbage. I looked but couldn't find it. Its just as well, that little bugger was so sharp, it almost took my pinkie off!

About five years ago, I picked up a Tojiro Flash damascus; I was to compete in a local, televised "battle of the chefs". Well, we were allowed two knifes in the competition. I brought a Mac, and my brand new Flash. The "secret" protein was lamb chops; we were given two, with four judges. My initial thought was to take the meat off the bone, but I thought that to be sacrilegious, since all the flavor comes from the bone.... so I decided to use the thicker Flash, and in the heat of the moment, I tried to cut the chop in half. I succeeded with the first. The blade wedged between the bone on the second; so I slammed the blade down on the board, with the chop still attached; it went through but the blade chipped! I had pea sized chip in the center of my brand new blade! Needless to say, it ruined the day for me.... all I could say to my sous was, "I f***ed up my new knife.

I have never lost a knife, but I do have at least a half dozen really good knives that people have left behind by accident after quitting or being fired. Unfortunately recently it has been harder to come up with good stuff cuz the other guys in the kitchen have started noticing my bounty.

I had my entire box take a walk from my office in the past. The closest I've come to loosing a knife was years ago I hit a Car sale looking for a new ride right after work at Daytona International Speedway. I took a new car out and the sales guy said go ahead and take it home for the night and we'll do the credit in the morning and transfer my ride to the dealership. I totally forgot my knife roll was in my truck. The next day I went to the stealer and they totally tried to gank me with a payment that was nearly 2x what we talked about. I just said no thanks I'll stick with what I have. The owner came in and told me that my car had already been taken to auction all the way down to Okeechobe. I walked out and called the PD. The LEO who showed up was really cool after I explained how SOL I was because my knife roll was in the car and I had no way to get to work. He called two other cops and they blocked every entrance to the dealership. He took me with him and we went straight back to the owner and he very politely explained to him that he was going to right a check for my knives on the spot and loan me that new car until they shipped mine back or he was going to get a one way ride to the pokey for auto theft. I've pi**ed and moaned about a few traffic tickets over the years but that officer surely save MYA that day.

Dave

Great story Duckfat!!! Nice to see the LEO's stand up for the little guy!

I lost my Spyderco S30V Native 2 years ago, still haven't found it yet. Probably in my bedroom or shop, but they are both piled high with boxes and stuff until I get my shed delivered and stuff moved out to it.

You just had to bring this up, didn't you?:curse:

In a move about ten years ago I lost three carbon steel Sabatiers I'd had since the mid '60's. A twelve and a ten inch chef's and a ten inch slicer. Haven't a clue how it happened but we were tossing out a bunch of crap that had accumulated over the years and the knives must have wound up in the wrong pile.

The strange thing is, my Sab cleaver of the same vintage made the move and I still have it. :dontknow:

Back