D. Martell Another Forgecraft Refurb

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I didn't thin this one, just cleaned up the blade, reprofiled, and sharpened. The tang was converted to accept a wa handle. This was my very first octagonal wa handle I've made and I'm 75% happy with it. *Note - I'm no Stefan. :) The wood used is Mediterranean Briar Burl with an Oregon Maple Burl spacer. I went with a wood spacer to keep it simple (to match the knife) but I paired up the woods because the blue maple spacer has orange flakes that match up perfectly with the main handle wood. It worked for me anyways. The reason why I did this octagonal handle was that I owed Dave (ecchef) a handle because of a previously broken one and I wanted to replace with as close to what he sent as possible. I also figured that Dave would cut me some slack if it didn't turn out so great. :D I do hope you like it though Dave, I gave it my best shot.

Forgecraft Refurb1.jpg

Forgecraft Refurb2.jpg

Forgecraft Refurb3.jpg

P1010002.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010014.JPG

Looks awesome! How did you bring out the classic forgecraft pattern on the spine?

Dave, I actually really like this handle. Simple, classy, and warm. I especially like some of the more subtle touches -- the maple spacer provides great contrast, but at the same time, the lighter flecks in the spacer match the briar that forms the rest of the handle, and the darker tones of the spacer match the bluing on the blade. Very good use of contrasts and complements. Great stuff!!

Dave, I actually really like this handle. Simple, classy, and warm. I especially like some of the more subtle touches -- the maple spacer provides great contrast, but at the same time, the lighter flecks in the spacer match the briar that forms the rest of the handle, and the darker tones of the spacer match the bluing on the blade. Very good use of contrasts and complements. Great stuff!!

Well at least someone gets my tastes. Thanks :)

We can add this to the list of ways you can take money. I'm starting to loose track
I have a forgie in a box somewhere that could use a little love someday

Love the handle Dave. Never seen Mediterranean Briar Burl before.

Love it. Thinking of doing more wa handles?

I'll offer them on my knives but I have no plans to go into wa handle maker production.

Well, there's the answer to what was going to be my question… all I can say at this point Dave is it looks like a job well done. I like the simplicity of the design, sometimes less is more

Classy. The handle compliments the blade without distracting from it. Me gusta !

Your blade work is always impressive Dave but the handles you are putting out are quite the lookers themselves.

Latest posts

Back