The best 5 or 6k stone for yanagibas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koki

Reaction score
Looking to replace my arashiyama 6k for something new. I will be using it for yanagis mostly and usubas. Any recommendations?

With usuba I stop at the Rika 5k, with yanagiba I continue to the kitiyama then stop.

Koki, have you tried out any natural stones yet?

I have always been scared of some the crazy prices that the natural stonea carry so I have not had a chance to look into them. Are they good for finishing? What is the benefit of them?

With usuba I stop at the Rika 5k, with yanagiba I continue to the kitiyama then stop.

I've tried the rik 6k and didn't like it very much. Is it similar to your 5k?

Never tried the 6k but the 5k is super nice. It's a muddy stone with great feedback, leaves a nice bite and a bright finish.

Never tried the 6k but the 5k is super nice. It's a muddy stone with great feedback, leaves a nice bite and a bright finish.

Really? Ok. Might have to give it a try sometime then. The 6k left more scratches than Id like when I used it

I use kitayama 8000 as well, but I'm thinking of getting gesshin 1k/6k combo stone for work.

I have the 1/6k permasoaking at the restaurant and it works great. It's only about an inch thick now, in six months we will need a new one.

Why do you need this stone especially for yanagiba? Planning to mirror it, or just for sharpening?

I actually just paid attention to what the thread was about. One of the better finishing stones I have used for yanagiba and usuba edges is the Takashima from JKI. It is a very reasonably priced jnat that leaves a great finish, and a very usable edge for both raw fish and produce. I've used it on white 2, blue 2, SKD, Shig steel, v2, Heiji semi stainless, and SLD that I can remember with a variety of cladding and it has worked consistently well.

I have only consistently used it for microbevels on double bevel knives but most of them got a sharpen at one time or another with this just to see what it was like. However it has been my yanagiba and usuba mainstay for a couple of years.

At work used a 5K Rika to restore razor edge on my yanagiba's. Also used a Kitayama for touchup because Sushi Chef who taught me SB sharpening used the Kitayama.

I am a fan of the Gesshin soakers. They are wide and have nice tactile feedback. Have the 8K too.

I just bought my second Rika 5k after a wonderful seven years with the first

for my single bevel knives,, I use only the Naniwa diamond series 1000 and 5000 grit as there is no need to level the "stone".. just light cleaning with 600 grit stone.

But there is no feel, feedback as it is really hard. Gets the job done.

as for the right hand side ( right handed knife) not too particular is the stone is not really flat.

rgds
d

I use only the Naniwa diamond series 1000 and 5000 grit

i didnt know there was a 5k version of them. what color is it? do you own other diamond stones?

Back