D. Martell For Sale - 180mm Martell Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Stats

Length - 180mm

Steel - O1

Hardness - Rc60-61

Handle Style - Hidden tang western

Handle Materials - Two toned amboyna burl, blond (streaked) buffalo horn, G10 spacers, w/black phenolic pin

Price - $525 (shipping included to USA - international to pay actual costs)

The nakiri is the knife that I make the best, or at least I feel that way anyway. For whatever reason I get this design and it comes across when I grind them. Unfortunately it's not super popular but if you've used one you know how awesome they can be.

I dressed this nakiri in some premium two toned amboyna burl from my stash (that's almost gone) along with some killer blond buffalo horn that I scored awhile back. I wanted to use spacers and a pin but didn't want to dress the knife up too much so I went with G10 spacers and a phenolic black pin to subdue the bling. I like the effect and will likely do this again.

*Note - the handle pictures show the colors a bit brighter than they are in real life. It was sunny when I took the pics and they were flooded with light. Refer to the full knife pics for more true to life handle colors.

If you're interested in purchasing the knife please contact via PM or email along with your Paypal email address (for the invoice). If international, please specify country.

Thanks for looking!

Dave

P1010056.JPG

P1010061.JPG

P1010063.JPG

P1010064.JPG

P1010066.JPG

P1010068.JPG

P1010070.JPG

P1010072.JPG

That handle may be a new benchmark high. Knice work, Dave!

That handle would even look good on a Moritaka! :running:

Nice that it's on an equally attractive knife.

My nakiris are very close to Watanabe's profile, in fact so close that you could say that I patterned mine off of his. :D That's true too, I did, but then I tweaked the profile to be just a tad smoother in the rocking motion towards the heel. I grind these convex and very thin on the lower half. If you've enjoyed a Watanabe nakiri this will feel very familiar to you. :)

I'm dropping the price on this one just because I need to sell it to pay some bills. $50 reduction!!

New
Price -
$475

It's crazy to me that this is still here. I have 2 knives that I will never sell one is a mizuno suminagashi the other is my Martell Nakiri. Someone is going to score a amazing knife for a great price.

A wonderful blade, Date. No nakiri expert here, so, why didn't you round the tip and kept it square?

I've used a few nakiris over the years and what I dislike most is the lack of a tip. I short cut so bad when there's no tip, although this can't exactly be compared to a high/rounded heal, it's similar enough for me. I figured why not have the upswept profile of a nakiri while still having a tip like a gyuto? I think I found the balance point.

Here's Watanabe's nakiri. You can see that his nakiris also have a tip - it's just back a bit further into the profile than mine.

WatanabeNakiri003.jpg

Back