Takagi honyaki tang dimensions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likebutter

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a Takagi honyaki 210/240mm to be rehandled either as mighty gyuto or to be thinned.

I see several handles I like currently on sale and am currently trying to figure out if they will fit.

Does anyone have one of these or know what the tang portion measures for either the 210mm or 240mm?

Thanks!

The tang length shouldn't be the deciding factor for handle length. The handle needs to properly suit the knife, not just fit the tang.

The seller should be able to advise which knife a particular handle is suitable for. As an example, a handle measuring 12x2 cm may be large enough that you can fit it on the tang (after a lot of filling), but would not be a good fit for the a 240mm gyuto.

I would have thought that something in the region of 15x3 cm would be about right. All tangs are different and it is part of the fitting process to file the inside of the handle to properly fit the tang.

Basically, so long as the handle you buy is suitable for the type of knife you're intending to put it on (e.g. 240 gyuto) you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense and that is why I am trying to figure out if the takagi tangs tend to be on the large or small side.
I've run into handles where they can be borderline one way or the other for both 210mm and 240mm (work for small 210 and not a large 210 tang and work for small 240mm and not a large 240mm tang respectively)

I was just wondering about the takagi since it is a knife where I can do as much of the work as possible given what limited things I can do skill-wise.

rTwdhukj9k6VZ5vJV2qrJ_1eyihm-05ZajBCPcdWt-U=w858-h643-no

You can always modify the tang with a sander. This is a Stefan Ebony handle that Dave Martell mounted around 7 years ago. Held up well at work. I mount my own handles now, but it is a learning process, each handle is different and tang sizes vary quite a bit.

If you have limited tools Dave's fee is very reasonable and he does an excellent job.

Latest posts

Back