Tip Problem

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
This is I guess the only problem I have now... I just can't seem to sharpen the tip of my knives properly... I can get my edges very sharp and have a very even bevel through out the whole blade but when it comes to about 2 to 3 cms from the tip, I just f*** it up.. Sorry about the language but it is very very frustrating...

I tried to do Jon's tip technique but I just can't seem to do it... and I read from the other posts that some people have difficulty with that technique as well...

Anybody else have trouble with sharpening the tip of their knives? anyone solved their dilemma?

Any suggestions on how to go about this problem?

Do you think that you might be rolling the edge when you try to sharpen the tip?

This is I guess the only problem I have now... I just can't seem to sharpen the tip of my knives properly... I can get my edges very sharp and have a very even bevel through out the whole blade but when it comes to about 2 to 3 cms from the tip, I just f*** it up.. Sorry about the language but it is very very frustrating...

I tried to do Jon's tip technique but I just can't seem to do it... and I read from the other posts that some people have difficulty with that technique as well...
I
Anybody else have trouble with sharpening the tip of their knives? anyone solved their dilemma?

Any suggestions on how to go about this problem?

If you're up for a skype call, I'd be happy to try and walk you through it

Exactly what do you mean by f*** it up? The bevels aren't neat or you have no bevel or it doesn't get sharp? If it's just the bevels, use the magic marker and go slow. One stroke, slow and then check to see what you're hitting. That way, once your get it, you'll know where it is. Also, look at the edge as it is contacting the stone. You should be able to roughly judge the angle that way. If you have a stone with good feedback you can feel and listen for the edge just starting to hit the stone. Did I mention you should go slow?

...or you can call Jon? :laugh:

I spent a day at Dave's shop and he helped me out on tips a lot (I'm trying to give credit where credit is due). The technique he taught me has completely changed the look of my bevel under magnification and it has helped me produce really good working tips - which is what really matters. I simply cannot believe the change. I used to have up to three different bevels on my tip section because I wasn't holding the angle evenly through the whole tip section. Imagine you are sharpening in a vertical motion on the stone. When you reach the tip section change your motion to a horizontal or side to side motion. It's hard for me to describe. I made a video of me using the technique for a BBQ forum, but I won't be posting those vids here anymore :). If you think it will help, PM me and I'll send you a link so you can see what I'm talking about. Maybe Dave will chime in, too.

Back