Hoss' house

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Devin and I have been discussing a suji for a couple of months. I wanted a tweener 285mm. A little taller to give it a longer life and some extra rigidity. The height was confusing because I didn't have a way to feel how tall it was going to be. He say something like "I wish you could just come to my shop and we can figure all this out!" I said, "Why not? I'll see you Saturday!"

I started the Friday prepping for 650 people at 7am. I did a corporate gig then did a dinner party on the beach that ended at 9. I then started on the 500mi trip to Devins. I made it to mile 450 around 4am and decided that was enough. I crashed for a few hours then I called Devin around 930 and let him know I was about an hour away. He let me know he was ready and I headed on over.

It took us all of 5 minutes to figure out the height thing then we got to work. We got the blade done over the course of 5 1/2 hrs. It is a pleasure to watch him work I peppered him with questions and he was able to answer all of them. It's one thing to discuss a blade over the phone but a whole other thing to give input and change things on the fly. I was am pleased with the result. We finished the blade and then chose handle material. The handle is going to be a wa handle, rosewood with a mokume ferrule.

Devin was a gracious host. He fed me twice and made me take an afternoon nap. His family is wonderful and as gracious as he is. Devin let me try some experimental stuff while making dinner. I was able to see the evolution of his kitchen knife making over the last 15 years represented in a lot of the knifes he has in his kitchen. He hasn't stopped evolving, he's got some great things coming in the future.

All in all, this was a truly unique and rewarding experience. I'd say once in a life time but I'm planning on returning to do it again if he'll have me.

How come your "thumbs up" icon actually points its thumb down?

Don't know! It should point up. As I said, I had an amazing time. If you have an opportunity like this, I'd take it.

Yeah, maybe this question should go to Dave. D A V E !!!

Dave's not here.

That was a little creepy, kind of space oddessyish.
What did you do with Dave, Jim? Lol

I am only about 7 hours away from casa de Hoss.

Knife....285mm long, 43mm tall, 3mm at the heel. 52100 w/ Devin's secret quench. Rc is 63.5.

Dave's not here, man! Haha. Classic!!!
Pesky, that's amazing...I'm envious and happy for you. That would be an awesome experience. I might just have to hit up Pierre. Haha (same country, but about a 4 hour plane ride). I'd love to meet up with Randy (HHH knives). We live close enough, and the offer was extended a little bit ago.
Great, now you have me thinking...
Anyways, "Congrats" and "awesome"! :D

Dave's not here, man! Haha. Classic!!!
Pesky, that's amazing...I'm envious and happy for you. That would be an awesome experience. I might just have to hit up Pierre. Haha (same country, but about a 4 hour plane ride). I'd love to meet up with Randy (HHH knives). We live close enough, and the offer was extended a little bit ago.
Great, now you have me thinking...
Anyways, "Congrats" and "awesome"! :D

For all of you thinking about doing this w/ Devin, he is a nice 2hr drive from Las Vegas.

Sorry no pics...I spent most of the time napping. Just ask Devin.

Back