my new Tanaka Ginsan Gyuto 210mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew78

Reaction score
Maker: Tanaka
Steel: Ginsan
Type: Gyuto
Finish: Nashiji
Handle: "D" Shaped Ho Wood
Ferrule: Buffalo Horn
Hardness: HRC62
Weight: 4.4 ounces
Blade Length: 210mm
Overall Length: 335mm
Thickness at Heel: 2.4 mm
Blade Height: 48.7 mm
took delivery of this on monday and have now had it working hard at work for a few days now.im pretty impressed so far ,considering the price tag i think its a really good knife for the money.
ootb sharpness wasnt very good at all and looked almost like it had only been sharpened on one side ,probably a 90/10 on the blade.i wasnt to bothered as wasnt expecting amazing f&f for the price it was.put it striaght on the stones and reground the cutting angle to 15 degrees 50/50 .finshed on the strop with chromium oxide and straight away the diffrance was amazing compared to my old german knifes.
the knife its self was a bit ruff around the edges and needs a bit of work with some sand papper to smouth out the spine to make it a little more comftable to work with but its not been much of a problem to work with in the kitchen for long periods .
since the sharpen iv only had to strop it twice in four days and its made its way through a lot of prep over those days to,so edge retention im really happy with even at 15 degrees .the handle is a little unfinished though so stains a bit from daily normal use in a working enviroment.
so ill need to finish it with somthing or maybe even rehandle it as the d handle im not overly keen on .
but so far im really happy with it and for the cost i think its more than worth its value for a good quality work horse that doesnt cost the earth
the ginsan steel im really happy with and also found it really easy to sharpen and de burr.
pictures to follow once iv figured out how to add :thumbsup: this knife was one of a few buys this month and i will add a few other thought and reviews about the others i bought .especially the Shibata Kotetsu R-2 Petty 150mm .this is my favorite buy by far.truly impressed by all aspects of the kotetsu knife and im sure ill be buying a few more from the range they have

I have a pair of Kotetsus too and if you can live with a little stiction they are formidable cutters.

are the spine and choil actually sharp or are they just uncomfortable? Looks like metalmaster is going to take forever to get my petty here and I have to wait another 8 days for my 240 nashiji.

are the spine and choil actually sharp or are they just uncomfortable? Looks like metalmaster is going to take forever to get my petty here and I have to wait another 8 days for my 240 nashiji.

Sharp enough to cut you? No. Sharp enough to be uncomfortable to use for any length of time? Yes.

Here's a pic of the spine on an OOTB 240 ginsanko:

View attachment 28618

Well the post lady woke me up to give me... my tanaka 150mm g3 petty! I see what you're saying about the spine, and I definitely think that the 240 will need some work before getting broken in. However, I was pleased to note the choil and neck of my petty were eased. Good asymmetric grind and quite thick at the spine (thin at the edge too)... Nice pointy tip! What I like about this petty is that it seem to have adequate height to do fairly comfortable on-board work.

Handle is poop though.

That's probably where my Tanakas will go if he's got the time for them next month. Sukenari is Karl-bound on friday.

A funny thing happened with that Tanaka petty... I was cutting up a case of gold creamers yesterday (I thought actually potatos were alkaline but it seems they usually have a ph of 6.1 making them nearly neutral), an order popped up so I wiped my knife off (or so I thought?) and ended up going straight to pick with the order (so I was away from my board for about 25-35 minutes). When I came back, the core steel had stained! They were just a few grey spots and under magnification I can only see one and it's more milky than red. Can't detect any of them with my thumbnail but they're quite small. The stains are beginning to fade today. Jeepers. My Sukenari and Hiromoto G3 both seem to be more stainless than the tanaka, I have put the other two knives into wet knife guards and had lesser results. Again, I'm fairly sure the knife was clean it didn't smell like potatos when I came back to it so I think it was just a wee bit of moisture.

Our kitchen is routinely in the hi 90sF or low 100s... AC is shite. I think this has something to do with it.

Who is Karl? I'm still learning the vendors.

Thanks!

Hattorichop from our vendor HC Handles up here in Canada.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/125-HC-Handles

It's funny how I didn't realize there was a Canadian handle vendor at KKF until I had already been in discussion with Stefan and Mikey. I knew Tosho sold some in-stock Karl handles, but didn't know Karl was on KKF. I guess I'm going to have to get more knives so I can get more handles once my current ones are done.

Bored so I took some pictures of my Tanaka 150 ginsan petty. iPhone pictures so the quality's not great but click each for bigger pictures.

Spine:

Bodyshot:

Cherl:

Kanji (they're not really that dark it's just shadow):

Again my bad for the quality.

Back