First High-end knife buy, need help figuring it out

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
What country are you in?
Canada, Alberta

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto, kiritsuke gyuto or straight up kiritsuke

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa, handle will most likely get replaced though, unless its already stellar

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
225mm-275mm 8 ½-11 inch blade

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No, prefer to avoid VG1,VG10, AUS10, hyper valludium and other cheaper steels, preference towards white steels, 52100, AEBL, R2, ZDP 189, you know the good stuff

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$1000 cad, $800 usd, willing to go a touch over for something special or perfect

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home environment, I mainly use my HHH AEBL production knife at work, I don’t think this will see pro action unless there’s a reason I wanted to bring in my Excalibur

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Veg prep, slicing proteins etc. Looking for a go to knife when cooking for friends and family

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
HHH 250mm protech and 210 fujimoto gyuto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch, hammer, butchers when slicing sometimes

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push, pull, walking, I match the cut to the task, I do occasionally rock for fine mincing of herbs

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.
At this price point I expect it to blow my mind, be an incredible cutter that slices through food like butter, prefer a slightly thinner knife, but not a laser. I need blade height, 55-60 mm is ideal, little less on a 225-240 is fine, my main issue with the HHH is its low height 48 mm, I want a little more power behind my cuts.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Honyaki would be cool, but I also love kurochi finishes, almost bought a takeda until I read all the negative comments here. Damascus is also fine, I rarely am wowed by them though, I do like hinouras work though and some of bill and randys stuff is interesting.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Lighter knife, nimble, at this price I expect fit and finish to be nigh perfect

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

As this is mainly a show knife and wont see much if any kitchen use it really wont matter too much, its mainly for my personal joy and it will be limited to cooking for people who matter to me.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Walnut end grain and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Might buy a natural finishing stone, if you have any recommendations for one let me know.

Comments
This is by far the most expensive knife I have ever bought, the next being my Yu Kurosaki r2 knife or my HHH production knife(bought it used, I don’t know its retail) I am leaning towards the following knives and doing a little soul searching before I buy, being a new cook my salary isn’t exactly amazing but after a month I learned we get gratuities, HR handed me some money and decided after a career change I should treat myself… plus it’s a better use than scotch haha
Leaning towards
1. Sukenari W1 270 honyaki (I love his work and his use of unique steels)
2. Catchside whatever is available (honestly my favorite custom maker in regards to handles and overall blade shape)
3. Fujiwara Denka 240mm ( love the rustic look and his knives seem amazing)
4. Custom Watanabe 240-270 honyaki W1 ( seems very willing to make knives to anyone’s specifications and has a very good reputation)
5. Try and order a custom Yu Kurosaki or Takamura ( I find both makers inspirational and adore their products, yu makes my favorite gyuto and takamura makes the thinnest knives ive ever had the pleasure to use.
Option 6 is continue to save and buy a Bill Burke from Blade Gallery roughly 2k cad should get me there, I don’t think I have to explain the legend that is Bill Burke, hes arguably one of the top three smiths on the planet.

This decision is breaking me :sad0:

I suspect whatever I buy I will get rehandled as most knives in this realm don't come with handles worthy. :sad0:

I have the Sukenari White #1 Honyaki but in 240. They run a bit short but I still like it (I'm sure the measurement is from tip to ferrule).

From my experience Watanabe only makes Gyutos in blue steel, but maybe if you are persistent you could get one in white?

A custom Takamura would be really cool too, I've been waiting for Knifewear to get in the stock Uchigumo sujis for some time and it sounds like I'll be waiting for awhile still

I think you just need to buy a custom. FWIW, Shinichi is not quite as flexible about custom specs as you may think...depends on how different you want the knife.

If you like Catcheside why not get a Catcheside? You have the budget, and the man is clearly at the very top of his game.

I would contact both Will and Shinichi because I don't think you can go wrong with either. The pound has rebounded a bit while the yen is still falling (somewhat) but both currencies are a much better deal than previous years. Looks like the Watanabe would be about 575 so with a handle maybe 750 with shipping etc.

I thank everyone for their replies. I have even received a few tempting pm offers. The denka is out as I can easily buy that anytime, same with the sukenari. So I'm tossing around the two custom makers and HHH. The cad $ is trash atm so I've got some decisions to make I will email watanabe and get a quote for a W2 honyaki gyuto 240mm extra height. If I go catchside it will be a momosteel knife when he posts on in his thread. His Damascus albeit beautiful is more than I can comfortably spend maybe after tax season haha.

One of Will's knives, with the green on the handle of course, has been and may remain my unicorn. Definitely worth a contact.

A custom from Haburn would check all your boxes, including a stellar handle. And it would be timely. A custom from Bloodroot would also be within reach though the wait may be longer.

Finally I would contact Jon and ask about a custom from one of his suppliers. I've seen custom Hide, Ginga on his website to name a couple.

Unless you know precisely what you are looking for it will be critical to have someone that can "translate" your functional requirements into production specs.

Good luck.

Back