Japanese Knives Thinking about a Gesshin Stone Passaround.... looking for throughs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
So, this will probably sound arrogant, but i feel very comfortable putting our gesshin stones up agains pretty much anything on the market, and i think our stones will shine. I was thinking it might be fun to put together a complete set of the stone and do a small passaround for a short period of time.

Because there is potential damage and loss, i need to make sure we go about it in a smart way, but here are some stones i was going to throw in there if possibe
  • geshhin 220
  • geshhin 320
  • gesshin 400
  • gesshin 400s
  • gesshin 600
  • gesshin 1200
  • gesshin jinzo aoto
  • gesshin 1500
  • gesshin 2000
  • gesshin 3000
  • gesshin 4000
  • gesshin 6000
  • gesshin 6000s
  • gesshin 8000
  • gesshin 1000/6000 combo stone
  • maybe a couple of diamond stones
  • and possibly a natural or 2
  • and probably 1 or 2 new stones that havent been introduced yet, but are coming soon

I would sell the stones at a discount after the passaround. In terms of participation, I would like to limit to people i know. I may require a credit card on file or something as well, since it will be a lot of money. We will have strict rules on shipping and storage.

Thoughts?

Really, the main reason is that i think we have some of the best, if not the best stones right now, and i would love to put them to the test and let you see for yourselves if you agree or disagree.

Can't disagree about your stones. I've some others around but the 1 and 6K diamond and the G2K are my foundation stones.

Are you thinking of sending a full range of stones out together or would it make more sense to send out a couple pair or 3 stone sets that work well together? Put another way are you thinking about getting feedback about the full range of stones from sharpeners capable of making a qualified comparison? Or is the intent to have people try the stones for their own knowledge base and hopefully provide some meaningful feedback?

If the latter, I would be interested in trying a pair of splash and go because I have primarily soakers. Someone else with S&G might be inclined to to try soakers or even a particular soaker. But to ship around a whole set would be prohibitively expensive.

Well, this may sound strange, but I think it's a great idea and I have no desire to participate. The reason I don't desire to participate is that I already have many of your stones and I agree that the Gesshin line can go up against any of it's competitors. The reason I think it's a great idea is that it'll give those who haven't tried your stones a chance to compare them with other stones that have a large following. personally Jon, I don't see how you and your stones can lose in an any such comparison. As we used to say in the Navy...good luck and following winds:D

Be well,
Mikey

i was going to send them all out together... it would be a way for people to see almost all that we have to offer, and a chance to compare within our series and from within our series to stones outside our series.

I think a little mix of experienced sharpeners and relative new sharpeners might be nice.

I would only ask that those chose post their honest feelings in the least biased way possible.

Not sure how many people though. Still thinking this through.

this is gonna be awesome. looking forward to the results! thanks alot jon.

There's a few in there I've really been wanting to try. If you decide to offer the East Coast a shot, I'd love to be on that list for sure!

In fact, (just spitballing here) there are a few forum members that are just a "stones" throw away from me that I'd bet would also be interested in this. Which makes me think that a little Stone Party could be thrown together perhaps?
I'm sorry, but that just SOUNDS fun.

With that amount of stones it might be better to have a few people host a gathering for sharpening event, one I each region. That way you get a variety of immediate feedback from multiple sources without any memory fading.

Wish this happened before spending almost a 1k on various sharpening stones! =P

Which makes me think that a little Stone Party could be thrown together perhaps?
I'm sorry, but that just SOUNDS fun.

Yup, a bunch of opinionated stoners hanging out and partying with a bunch of big, sharp knives...can't see anyway that could go wrong:whistling:

Seriously, I think a bunch of little local get togethers is a great Idea. Not only would it limit the amount of shipping the stones are subjected to, it would give participants a chance to compare thoughts. It could also be very educational for the less experienced sharpeners. I'm thinking this is something the local members themselves would need to organize within the pass-around framework.

How ever it works out, thanks Jon for being willing to do this,
Mikey

i'm thinking of picking up one of these and sending the stones out in this...
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail/Case/1600/

it might be heavy that way, but its probably the safest way we can send this number of things around. I imagine fedex ground would be easiest in this case. I really like the idea of sending it to a central hub and having people congregate there. It makes it a kind of community building passaround.

I'll host a sharpening party in Raleigh, NC. I've got a decent amount of counter space and good lighting too. Maybe that will be enough motivation to get the peeps from NC together finally. Of course anyone is welcome to come (just don't mention it to Dave B) LOL

Local / regional get together sounds like a really good idea, for several reasons already mentioned. I would, as a ready-the-rabbit-hole novice, jump at the chance to join. Can't imagine anything more educational when it comes to use and purchase decisions. Shipping cost would be divided amongst the participants, right? So cost would be a consideration, comparing it maybe to the purchase of a 3 stone set would be prohibitive.

Put Minneapolis on the list of cities.

i'm gonna try to get started on this process when after Japan this year... so november-ish if i can find the free time

I'd love to do it. The 2K soaker I got is super nice and I'd like to try some of the others. Luckily, I'm not hamstrung by having to make a living from sharpening so i can do whatever progression I want. the 2k is so nice I'm thinking of buying more. the 240 dishes REALLY fast but in exchange it cuts really fast so I guess it's a fair trade off...thin for a few minutes then flatten, wash rinse repeat. Again, cuts really fast so totally worth it.

For anyone thinking about finger stones to work on cosmetics, Jon's finger stones are WAY WAY above what I expected. Already thin and flattened on one side..super nice. - thanks Jon. Will post a review once I have a chance to play with them more.

Mike

I am so in for the stoner party!!! Lets do this right boy yeeeeeee!!
But seriously, what an unbelievable way for everyone to witness for themselves these magical products that Jon supplies for people exactly like us. Jon has finger stones??? What???? Now I'm curious

If I tried to explain a "sharpening stone ... whatever" would probably incite "Tupperware party" jabs. But oddly enough my family understands, "going to meet some guys, drink beer, and play with knives." I have raised the stakes on our hunting, camp, (yep, that's my son's BK-9 in my avatar) and backpack blades, but family hasn't figured it out yet with kitchen knives.

OK, seriously, I won't even drink regular coffee, let alone any kind of alcohol, if this does become a reality.

Thought: it would be great if Europe could be included in this passaround. We don't get to experience many types of stones (specialty stores like Maksim's are great of course, but that's about the only one I know in Europe). But of course I also fully understand it if that's not possible.

Thought: it would be great if Europe could be included in this passaround. We don't get to experience many types of stones (specialty stores like Maksim's are great of course, but that's about the only one I know in Europe). But of course I also fully understand it if that's not possible.

not sure if thats gonna work, but lets see what happens once i start to get things rolling

Thought: it would be great if Europe could be included in this passaround. We don't get to experience many types of stones
where in nl do you live? im in aachen, if you want, you can come visit me sometime and try some of my stones.

Well, should the stones wo make it to NL, than it would be a shame not to send them to Germany too ;) I personally would love to try some of your new splash & go stones (320, 1500, 3000) and/or the 4000, 8000 and synthetic natural. The 220 possibly too. Or did you plan to send ALL of them? :angel2:

I consider myself between beginner and semi-experienced sharpener if that is of any relevance.

Just one word of caution - I have been part of US based pass-around (a knife) and was the one who received the knife from US. I had hard time not to pay the import duties as German law does not recognise such situation. I eventually managed that (with help of the local customs - really nice people), but this could potentially happen anywhere in Europe/EU.

Still - I think it would be worth the hassle and I would love to join should that be possible.

because it will be a huge number of stones, i'm not sure i can have them make it as far as Europe... it would be exceedingly expensive to send

That is OK Jon. I do not even want to know how expensive it would be to send like 20+ stones to EU (that is a bit beyond my standard order size :) ). But it would be worth it seeing the face my wife would make once I would open that maga-package at home :D

Still - if yo could select a few (maybe in a separate pass-around run) I am sure there would be enough of us here in Europe that would be interested to take part. I would be ready to be either the first or the last to help with the customs and/or pricey shipping to US. But that is probably a topic for a separate thread (if you would consider that options at all, that is)

Still - if yo could select a few (maybe in a separate pass-around run) I am sure there would be enough of us here in Europe that would be interested to take part. I would be ready to be either the first or the last to help with the customs and/or pricey shipping to US. But that is probably a topic for a separate thread (if you would consider that options at all, that is)

That is a great idea, Matus! Just one stone (which you consider "the best", Jon) would be great.

let me see what i can do about this... its going to get rolling in november at the earliest, just based on my schedule right now.

how about a europe group buy? dunno if that would make sence.

how about a europe group buy? dunno if that would make sence.

Well, I think it probably does not, unfortunately. Each EU country applies some sort of import duties and then you need to re-distribute the stones (expensive because of the weight) and you need to reimburse the one person who payed all the import duties. I think that is just too much hassle to go with (unless some of the EU countries is benevolent enough not to collect the duties, but I would personally not count on that).

Jon, we will be patiently waiting what will come out of this :)

Back