Knives & Stones Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji Gyuto, with the Knives and Stones buff, now available.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Takana Ginsan Nashiji Gyuto 210mm, 240mm and 270mm

In early July, I announced the making of the K&S version of the (non-R2) Tanaka knives. With the support from Tanaka, and the K&S handle partner, I was able to offer two samples of 240mm Ginsanko Nashiji gyutos. You can find them in this thread. The two prototype received great interest, both were sold within the first half hour of listing, and I received a ton of PM afterward in regarding the availability. The initial reception is also very positive, you can find a review by Richard in the reviews section.

I have since received a batch of Ginsan and Blue 2 Damascus blades, as well as a big batch handles. I spent the last few days polishing the handle a bit and put everything together, and here is what I have on offer:
tanaka.jpg

To sum up what is exactly on offer this time around:
  • Tanaka Ginsanko Nashiji Gyutos, 210mm, 240mm and 270mm
  • K&S Custom Octagonal handle (bubinga timber, oily, good looking timber with decent density and figure) with brass ferrule.
  • Spine and choil are nicely rounded and polished

There are only 3x 210, 5x 240 and 3x 270. So grab yours while there are still around :)
Direct link here:
Takana Ginsan Nashiji Gyuto 210mm, 240mm and 270mm

James

A little bit information about the bubinga timber. its an african hardwood that is reddish in color, with dark stripes. Dry weight is about 900KG/m3 which is dense enough but not super hard to machine, and comes with good figure. I have a few hand planes comes with bubinga knob that I really like, so I think maybe I will give it a try in this "quite special" tanaka knives :D

Wow, the final product looks even better than the Prototype version. Ordered me a 240 already (and cursing Paypal for their abysmal currency exchange ratio.)

less than 30 minutes, 3 of the 5 240s are gone!

Woke up and found that 7 of the 11 blades are gone, the 240 were out in about 2 hours. Thanks for your support guys!

I will need a day or so to give it an edge and pack them. So may post them tomorrow :)

I will have some more g3 240s in 2 weeks or so. Blue 2 will be this week.

James

Ordered one but I feel it was a compete impulse buy so it might go back up for those interested.

Or you could be blown away as many others have by Tanaka knives...

I have a blue 2 which I like, but have had some headaches with being so easily bent. Plus I just bought a shigefusa and Kato :D

I already emailed James 3 times going back on my decisions, don't make me do it again! :D

Thanks Chanop, yeah its indeed the damascus version. :lol2:

for some reason, the public photo on one drive will only last for a day or so before it becomes invalid.

AD.jpg

Is there any plans to add any Tanaka nakiri's and petty's?

James, will you be restocking these ginsan gyutos anytime soon? 240mm in particular? Looking to pick up a new ss gyuto shortly.

Back