Looking for flagship gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOli

Reaction score
My knives run at 210 max so I would like to add a 240/270 blade to the collection. Ideally something that falls through foods with a decent separation and great looks.

What country are you in? UK so bear in mind $45 shipping from most vendors and 20% tax ln knife and shipping

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto, Kiritsuke Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Ambidextrous

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240 to 270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes, either semi stainless or stainless core with stainless damascus cladding

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 450-500 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home and food evenings

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Meat (boneless) and veggie prep, including root vegetables. Both thick and coarse cuts with soft and harder foods.
What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push cut, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Longer blade and great looks

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Stainless damascus clad, good quality handle although I can get it re-handled

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Rounded spine and choil, I do like a little bit of weight but that would not be a deal breaker

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? No reactivity on cladding, no wedging, decent release

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Unimportant to me

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) End grain block

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I would like a real showpiece with great cutting ability maybe at the expense of some food release. My initial thoughts pushed me towards the Yoshikane SLD damascus as well as the Masashi Kobo damascus (same maker for these 2 lines). Any suggestions appreciated, I know some really nice ZDP blades are also available as well as some alternatives from Konosuke and Sakai Takayuki. I really like the Kono Fujiyama Sakura but the beautiful damascus and flower cladding will take some patina, am I wrong to fret about it?...I suppose a flat spot will also be important in my decision making.

I picked up a masashi kobo recently, a damascus one from Aframes.
A very nice knife, cuts real nice and good looking.
Mine measures 250 mm.
I'm starting to get a liking for tall knives, this one seems to be quite tall by having quite a long flattish section, with a more aggressive curve towards the tip.
It looks really nice with the stock burnt chestnut handle, but you've always got the option to rehandle.
Definitely recommend it.

I picked up a masashi kobo recently, a damascus one from Aframes.
A very nice knife, cuts real nice and good looking.
Mine measures 250 mm.
I'm starting to get a liking for tall knives, this one seems to be quite tall by having quite a long flattish section, with a more aggressive curve towards the tip.
It looks really nice with the stock burnt chestnut handle, but you've always got the option to rehandle.
Definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the feedback on the Masashi. How does it behave on carrots, potatoes and roots?

I don't think Yoshikane will offer any more damascus as the person who made them was Masashi himself!

Thanks for the feedback on the Masashi. How does it behave on carrots, potatoes and roots?

I don't think Yoshikane will offer any more damascus as the person who made them was Masashi himself!

It's a very good cutter. Not in the same league as my Tanaka R2 or Takamura Hana, but not too far off.
I certainly have no complaints.
One of the reasons I gave it a go is that he used to work at Yoshikane :)
It really is a very nice knife.

It's a very good cutter. Not in the same league as my Tanaka R2 or Takamura Hana, but not too far off.
I certainly have no complaints.
One of the reasons I gave it a go is that he used to work at Yoshikane :)
It really is a very nice knife.

The fact he used to work for Yoshikane is definitely a plus in my book, and that is why I am looking at Wakui too.

Might be slightly over, but less shipping and no out of country tax, something from Will C. his knives are wonderful

They are next door to me...interesting stuff.

Is a Japanese handle a must-have? If you're possibly considering Western, I think the Takamura Suminagashi Damascus (R2) meets almost all of your other requirements....would be a very pricey knife though.

takamura-suminagashi-240-gyuto-hero.jpg

Japan Woodworker has the Tsuneo Yoshida Yoshikane SKD die steel 64-65hrc hammer finish 240mm gyuto.

The A-Frames Masashi Kobo looks like a good option as well I like seeing others spending coin on nice knives.:biggrin:

Konosuke Fujiyama or Gesshin Kageyiko in white steel. I own two of the former and one of the latter, all are amazing, very well-made knives that I have no no complaints about.

Konosuke Fujiyama or Gesshin Kageyiko in white steel. I own two of the former and one of the latter, all are amazing, very well-made knives that I have no no complaints about.

I saw an incredible damascus Konosuke Fujiyama Sakura but the cladding was fully reactive and that stopped me at the time.

I am DELIGHTED to confirm Yoshikane are not giving up the production of their SLD knives...can't quote the sources but there will be more in the future although the lead time is quite long.

Back