Quantcast
Help to Design a Forum Knife! - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Help to Design a Forum Knife!

Steve Goodson in Texas custom makes knife rolls, maybe you could ask him

http://http://www.leather-worker.com/Chef-Knife-Roll.html

Another set outside the box

I always wonder why people are so hooked on the traditional Japanese design, while you can draw a gazillion lines through 3 points and produce a gorgeous design. This was also thinking outside the box. Maybe some of you will like them, while another part of you will dislike them.. These have been posted on FF a long time ago. Yuuga is again just a working title. Want to have one made? Just ask, I'll send a 1/1 outline drawing to work with, same for the others already posted.

Let's start with an outline drawing of the gyotos;

And, the sujis;

And a pimped version of gyotos and a suji below;

i still think the butcher's duo is the most interesting forum knife idea, but if you wanted to eventually expand the line to gyutos and sujis, to make them unique, offer them in "half sizes". i know shige and nenox have some of them, but a lot of people cannot afford either of those, but would benefit from 225/255/285mm gyutos and sujis.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    i still think the butcher's duo is the most interesting forum knife idea, but if you wanted to eventually expand the line to gyutos and sujis, to make them unique, offer them in "half sizes". i know shige and nenox have some of them, but a lot of people cannot afford either of those, but would benefit from 225/255/285mm gyutos and sujis.
    Maybe it's because I'm a newbie knife nut, but I'm a little confused about what you mean by "half size" gyutos and sujis.

Do you literally mean something like 120mm or 135mm gyutos or what?

Thanks,
    Lyle

I'm getting really excited about running with the butcher knife set idea, this is getting my creative juices flowing.

Why don't we focus on this and start discussing what we want from these knives?

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm a newbie knife nut, but I'm a little confused about what you mean by "half size" gyutos and sujis.

Do you literally mean something like 120mm or 135mm gyutos or what?

Thanks,
    Lyle
    Haha no. That was my sneakerhead part of my brain talking. Half size meaning half way between the regular sizes. like in shoes 9.5, 10.5, etc would be half sizes. and for knives, the standard sizes being 210, 240, 270, and 300mm, half sizes would be 225, 255, 285mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell
    I'm getting really excited about running with the butcher knife set idea, this is getting my creative juices flowing.

Why don't we focus on this and start discussing what we want from these knives?
    Great! Maybe we should start a new thread so people who have given up on this one or dont want to read through 12 pages can get right to it and contribute to the butchers set idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Haha no. That was my sneakerhead part of my brain talking. Half size meaning half way between the regular sizes. like in shoes 9.5, 10.5, etc would be half sizes. and for knives, the standard sizes being 210, 240, 270, and 300mm, half sizes would be 225, 255, 285mm.

Great! Maybe we should start a new thread so people who have given up on this one or dont want to read through 12 pages can get right to it and contribute to the butchers set idea.

Good idea - I'm on it!

Hmm maybe something like a honesuke and a petty/boning knife combined. Or like a kiritsuke tip boning knife?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I realize Dave wants to focus on the butchers knives, but since i rarely have a need for these...

How about a very laser thin gyuto in Masamoto KS shape, AEB-L or another good stainless? Wa of course.