Um... this gets my vote please.
    One more vote for that as well... +1

How about a 260mm funayuki?

How bout a cleaver/noodle knife - call it a cleanoodle knife

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    How bout a cleaver/noodle knife - call it a cleanoodle knife
    Or noodleaver?
    hahaha.

I vote for Western boning knife, one that doesn't suck to sharpen, thin, carbon, not flexible, ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Wow...that's nice Bruce. What is it?
    That's a Carter gyuto/funayuki. Just way, way longer than Carter would ever do except for a custom order. I like this as well if we can't do something single bevel.

I tend to agree with a lot of people talking about how the gyuto market is kind of flooded. Unless we can do something to keep the price WAY down, then you are talking something in the $300 range. A lot of people have mentioned the Masamoto KS for profile, but unless the price is well below or at least competitive with the Masamoto, most people would just buy the Masamoto. Same thing with the other forum knives. It's hard to get a niche that makes designing a guyto worthwhile.

I kind of like the boning knife idea, and if there was any way to do a nice petty but keep it down in price that would be ideal, I think, but from the other petty's in this range of similar knives, I don't think there is any way to do one that would cost less than $200. Hard to compete with Konosuke, etc. in petty costs. I still like the idea of a single bevel if it could be pulled off...

I like the scimitar idea as I only have cheep ones. I like the stainless clad carbon steel knives a lot these days. looks cool & you get the best of both worlds, easer to use at work

A shorter "Carteresque" funayuki or a BBQ knife like a criollo?

The knife may well need to have some broader appeal to carry a decent sized run and keep costs down...

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    I like the scimitar idea as I only have cheep ones. I like the stainless clad carbon steel knives a lot these days. looks cool & you get the best of both worlds, easer to use at work
    This is definitely an over looked part of the market. Boning knives and scimitars are mostly only available by cheap manufacturers in poor steel. Granted these appeal to pros way more than the home user, but I think even some home users here would end up with one seeing as they are unique and we find any excuse to get a new knife. The BBQ guys could use both, boning for trim, scimitar for slicing.

Dave,

How about something like a Masamoto KS gyuto/suji hybrid. I find myself using a suji more but like more knuckle clearance. I have a 240 suji that I had custom made from Pierre with more height than a normal suji and I love it. But would love something in a 270 size and the Masamoto profile is great.

I must say I do also like the idea of some butchering knives.

-Chuck