Quantcast
Help to Design a Forum Knife! - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Help to Design a Forum Knife!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMartell View Post
    I know I said anything but the cleaver is off the list. They just flat suck to grind.
    Wimp!

Jay

for sure cleaves suck to grind out and till you do one you will never really know (its not jstu 2 8 inch chef blades on top each other )

How about a Mini-Cleaver, sort of like my saw cleaver. But this time more of a chopper.

CornishHen-5 by Steve_3D, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by vai777 View Post
    yes exactly like that....
    I'm down with this. Suji's are my favorite style ... This is something I've been interested in ever since Scott brought the Massamoto to my attention.

As well I am a big Funyuki fan. If you are doing a gyuto you need to hollow ground/large bevel front and back sides so it tapers down. Thin is good but thin all the way through is not an all around knife.

Another thing I have always wanted but not sure if it is able to be done, is a single bevel gyuto (on thinner side but not a complete laser) that is hollowed on the backside like a yanagiba or deba. And at the tip, Kiritsuke/suji style.

Steel ... I know everyone is into higher-end stuff... But honestly some of the cheaper carbons work really well and would help keep the price down, gaurantee you would sell more. You NEED a budget line from a Chef standpoint.

After that on a more custom level, I love any carbon, white, blue, even semi-stainless, you name it.

Stainless I will leave to you guys. Just go stainless or carbon. Leave the cladding to the Hiros Dave, please.

This is if I had the know-how to play Frankenstien.

-Bryan

I think cladding would bring the price up too high. Also a steel that needs cryo will bring the price up. I say stick with O1 or AEB-L at 58 rockwell. The handles should be simple wa, or bolsterless western to keep the price down. AEB-L and O1 can be bought in strip form and water jet cut to cut costs.

You guys are really coming up with some great ideas and concepts. I'm watching and listening here - trust me I am.

I wrote "O1 or AEB-L at 58 Rockwell" I meant O1 at 60+ Rockwell; AEB-L, without cryo, treated to 58 Rockwell. I don't think ultra high hardness is needed in something that will contact bone.

Quote Originally Posted by sw2geeks View Post
    How about a Mini-Cleaver, sort of like my saw cleaver. But this time more of a chopper.

CornishHen-5 by Steve_3D, on Flickr
    That was a cute little thingy
    Lovely cleaver!

DarkHOeK

I would like a forum bread knife. However serrated edges kill my boards.

I need a 300 gyuto / deba bread knife. Anyone got ideas?

Forum bread knife in damascus, or 6 damascus forum steak knives with burl wood handles.

I'll park some money aside in a bank account. Let me know when I need to make a withdrawal...