Quantcast
Help to Design a Forum Knife! - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Help to Design a Forum Knife!

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I think cladding would bring the price up too high. Also a steel that needs cryo will bring the price up. I say stick with O1 or AEB-L at 58 rockwell. The handles should be simple wa, or bolsterless western to keep the price down. AEB-L and O1 can be bought in strip form and water jet cut to cut costs.
    Some heat treat processes are a must for a quality product, so I see no point of skipping them for the sake of lowering costs. At the same time, one doesn't have to go crazy with some time-intensive multi-step HT process, if it might only provide some marginal benefit.

Water jet cutting blanks, less expensive handle options for sake of keeping costs down would be fine.

I think 60-62RC hardness would be more desirable for fine grained steels, like O1 for the edge retention. For the abrasion resistant steels, 57-58RC would be more appropriate.
    M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Ashi Hamono and other makers seem to make quality blades out of AEB-L at 58 Rockwell. Cryo would be nice, I would love a Devin Thomas style AEB-L heat treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Ashi Hamono and other makers seem to make quality blades out of AEB-L at 58 Rockwell. Cryo would be nice, I would love a Devin Thomas style AEB-L heat treatment.
    It depends on what quality IS. Ashi Hamono is a production-oriented company and produces knives in high volume inexpensively, as they do a lot of OEM for other brands. Ashi has plenty of equipment, so labor input there can be reduced. I think the consensus has been that in a production knife-making, heat treatment is often not optimal as no company will spend 6-8 hours on heat treating a knife to get most of a steel.

Forum Knife would be a custom or semi-custom (depends how you look at it) knife, the only exception is that steel is not forged. Anything that labeled custom or semi-custom, should have an appropriate quality and an appropriate price, in my opinion.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

If it's within the means of the knife maker I'd be very happy with a better heat treatment. I just don't know what kind of equipment Dave has or if he's going to out source HT.

i think a carbon suji would be neat. wa or yo, either would be great. 270-300mm. a little bit of meat to the spine, but not too much.

boning, scimitar or deba -- already have kick-ass gyutos, suji, petty and paring

If a single-bevel knife is a possibility, I'd be all over a nice deba.

I would like to see a Kiritsuke or that style design, a well made honesuki, or something that differs or distinguishes itself from the usual/already available options of previous forum knives! Carbon (O1) would definitely be a plus, and I think a little bit of heft in it wouldn't be a bad thing whatever style it ends up being.

a Kiritsuke would be cool.

So we have votes for a lot of different things, almost all over the place, but yet a few common things have come up. First you guys would like to see something different being done, second is the call for boning knives (the assorted family) to be made, and third is a cleaver. Well since I'm not trying to be masochistic I will steer away from the cleaver which then leaves boning knives which of course fulfills the requirement of being a bit different. Why don't we head in that direction then?

If I we are to go that way what patterns should we consider? There's western and Japanese types. I know that I'd be loving to try doing some scimitars (I already have a great pattern) but what about the rest?

+ Reply to Thread