Quantcast
Help to Design a Forum Knife! - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Help to Design a Forum Knife!

For a boner, I'd like a stiff one about 6 inches long; also, I'd prefer if it were western. O1 60-61, 13C26 58-62. Scimitar! O1 60-62, CPM or traditional D2 61 with cryo, just think of that toothy edge. Maybe there should be a poll =)

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    For a boner, I'd like a stiff one about 6 inches long; also, I'd prefer if it were western. O1 60-61, 13C26 58-62. Scimitar! O1 60-62, CPM or traditional D2 61 with cryo, just think of that toothy edge. Maybe there should be a poll =)
    +1 on all of that!

For a boner, I'd like a stiff one about 6 inches long
    OK, I'll behave myself and make no comment.

I don't think that I want a toothy edge on my boner..............
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    If I we are to go that way what patterns should we consider? There's western and Japanese types. I know that I'd be loving to try doing some scimitars (I already have a great pattern) but what about the rest?

Western boning with good steel and handle. For pros that style is useful, and it basically doesnt exist, save for the tojiro boning knife, and one know those DPs leave something to be desired in the handle department. Japanese style you can get, either a hankotsu or honesuki. If you made a "butchers set" with a boner and scim i know id buy one.

A few suggestions...

Hi Dave, I made a design of the kind of knife I would really like, namely not to much curve and above all elegant, hence the worktitle I gave them; Chowa.
    I posted a few drawings some time ago on KF, but I returned the designs to the freezer. Personally I'm a stainless steel guy and I prefer western handles. These drawings were made on my computer, so I printed them out in a 1/1 version. There are 2 slightly different western handled ones. Actually, I can't decide which one. I cut out the prints and glued them on a piece of cardboard. Here they are compared to my Hattori 240.
    Oh, yes, isn't a 240mm version something probably most viewers are after?

The following drawing is what they could look like. Same knives as above, but pimped on my computer.
    I already have a slight preference for the first handle. It also feels better in hand (well, the cardboard version does);

And since most knifenuts prefer wa-handles, here is the whole family in uni-clothing

And the same ones in fantasy-clothing.

Oh damn - an entire knife line! Very nice.

BBQ time is not so far away..

Just to make it all a little more confusing (the best ideas occur in total chaos), these slicers.
    I'd love to hear suggestions on these, since the latest post are all about "boning". Would you guys use the short one as a de-boning knife?

Damn, You put a lot of thought into that! Just one suggestion from me, the gyuto's tip is really low--almost santoku like. I like a flat profile, but with a tip a little higher.

I like the BBQ slicers. I think the small one is too big for boning. Right now I'm deboning chicken with a 210mm yo-deba and it's too clumsy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBelgium View Post
    Just to make it all a little more confusing (the best ideas occur in total chaos), these slicers.
    I'd love to hear suggestions on these, since the latest post are all about "boning". Would you guys use the short one as a de-boning knife?
    I really like the 240 here. I want a custom carving scimitar in a similar shape to this, something I can bring to friends and family's house when I am in charge with carving something. But the heel is still big enough for knuckle clearance if I have to use it on a board for misc prep tasks. I was planning on getting a damascus one with an exotic handle, since it would be used mostly for presentation carving, i feel something elegant and fancy is appropriate.

The 210 would be useful as a boning knife if the heel was like 18-20mm tall, the profile is good for one, just too tall. You could also shorten it to about 190-200mm.

+ Reply to Thread