Quantcast
Help to Design a Forum Knife! - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help to Design a Forum Knife!

I meant convex grind.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMartell View Post
    I think it's about the complexity of the grind?
    Hmm. Don't know how that would cause a problem... unless you mean the ura side.... but that side is already steel in traditional knives, so I don't really like that either.... other than that you'd have the shinogi, but I can't see why a billet of white #2 can't work from stock removal, but can work for forged honyaki... I just wonder if no one has ever tried it before.

Yeah that's the issue, no one does it much. Butch has ground 2 yanagis to date, though both not in Japanese steel, they are mono steel knives non the less.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    There seems to be some interest in the Tojiro boning knife at present, and with so few options something in that direction might be appealing.
    another vote for a western style boning knife made with better steel . i would prefer it even longer than the tojiro boning knife. carbon and western handled is fine by me.

Hey, being a cleaver guy I vote... a cleaver!

I would like a boning knife. Maybe out of a steel that's tough, dc53, a2, o1, aeb-l. Definitely something fun, I haven't used a knife made out of a2 and that's easy to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If I had my way, a carbon steel scimitar on Devin's pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMartell View Post
    PS - I LOVE Devin's feather pattern!!!!!
    I was suggesting a plain carbon steel knife, it would then be much more affordable to many of the men.

I would be on board for either a honesuki/garasuki or scimitar with 01 Steel and western handle.

Gyuto is the easy answer but perhaps with so many different ideas on the ideal gyuto, you may end up having something watered down.

A good effective parer or cleaver (Chinese) seem to be pretty well defined by most kitchen knife knuts.
    It would seem the modern home cook may not bone that often () anymore to justify interest.

Priorities from my experience:

1) Blade geometry (profile, cross sections, etc.) and design
    2) Proper heat treat (and specifically hardness to type of steel to be used)

3) Steel type- junk aside (and a distant third in relation to the two above),

Quote Originally Posted by add View Post
    It would seem the modern home cook may not bone that often () anymore to justify interest.
    While that may be true for the general public, I don't think it is true for the knife nuts here. I think many of us de-bone and cut our own meat, making the choice of a honesuki/garasuki or scimitar viable.