Quantcast
Help to Design a Forum Knife! - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Help to Design a Forum Knife!

The western 240 looks great, you could put it into production just like that. I don't think I have seen anything like that BBQ slicer it looks just right for brisket. It might be better at 300mm but 270 is more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by so_sleepy View Post
    The western 240 looks great, you could put it into production just like that. I don't think I have seen anything like that BBQ slicer it looks just right for brisket. It might be better at 300mm but 270 is more versatile.
    Looks a bit like the Bark River carver:

I forgot about the Barkie. if I remember correctly, it was only 9.5 inches, so 240mm territory, a little short for a BBQ slicer, but great for a fancy carving knife at the table. I would have bought one, but didn't realize they were a limited run. They were discontinued before I got around to it.

How about a damascus prison shank

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    How about a damascus prison shank

k.
    Please!

I forgot about the Barkie. if I remember correctly, it was only 9.5 inches, so 240mm territory, a little short for a BBQ slicer, but great for a fancy carving knife at the table. I would have bought one, but didn't realize they were a limited run. They were discontinued before I got around to it.
    There's still one here:

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index....th=465_485_572

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    They have a picture of the chef's knife posted with the carving knife listing. I'll give them a call to see what's up.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Damn, You put a lot of thought into that! Just one suggestion from me, the gyuto's tip is really low--almost santoku like. I like a flat profile, but with a tip a little higher.

I like the BBQ slicers. I think the small one is too big for boning. Right now I'm deboning chicken with a 210mm yo-deba and it's too clumsy.

The idea behind the gyuoto was indeed to have a flatter curve than usual. It's a matter of preference.
    The slicers are ment to be nothing else, but the idea of a deboning knife in the same shape could be done. I would also make a deboning knife shorter and lower like you and JohnyChance suggest

Thanks! I really like that western 240 too. I cook a lot as a home cook and this is what I'm looking for. I'm convinced it is a very usefull design. The low tip makes it more user-friendly; you don't have lift the handle too much when cutting with the tip. The flat curve makes it ideal to make long and steady slices. There's also not one single straight millimeter in that curve, imo something really necessary in using a cooking knife on a cutting board.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    If you made a "butchers set" with a boner and scim i know id buy one.
    Now we're onto something, a butcher's set would be totally unique in the annals of Forum knives not to mention totally cool for both knife nuts and pros.

I really don't think we need more gyutos at this time, besides Dave is already doing one for his first run of knives.

Next, I think a (relatively) reasonable-priced AEBL paring knife with a thinner profile micarta handle would be very useful and popular.

+ Reply to Thread