Quantcast
Gesshin 8k stone in action
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gesshin 8k stone in action

I get a lot of questions about the hardness of the gesshin stones... in fact, i had to rethink my definitions recently. For example, i tend to think of the gesshin 4k as a medium hardness, but when compared to some of the other stones in that grit range, its on the hard side. For instance, the gesshin 4k is harder than the synthetic aoto, naniwa green brick, and suehiro rika. However, its softer than the chocera, shapton stones (both pro and glass), and many others.

So, that brings me to this stone... the 8k. Its on the softer side. Kind of similar to the suehiro rika in feel... or like a grippy arashiyama. If feels creamy and smooth, but still gives very nice feedback so you can feel whats going on with the edge. Hopefully the video gives you an idea of how it cuts (read:FAST) .

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

-Jon

Jon, how would you rank this vs say the kitiyama? Cutting speed, dish resistance, feedback, level of polish, and value?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

significantly faster cutting on all steels, better tactile feedback, not quite as good polish, not quite as nice of dish resistance, but much better edge for food. There are a few people here who have used both... maybe they can speak us so i dont feel like i'm just saying "my stones are great" all of the time

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    significantly faster cutting on all steels, better tactile feedback, not quite as good polish, not quite as nice of dish resistance, but much better edge for food. There are a few people here who have used both... maybe they can speak us so i dont feel like i'm just saying "my stones are great" all of the time
    I pretty much agree with Jon although I would say the two things that really set it apart from the Kit are the speed (maybe the fastest 8k I've ever used) and the polish (a cloudy finish). In terms of the cutting edge it delivers, it doesn't shave as well but for food it feels more aggressive than the Kit and stays aggressive feeling longer.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I pretty much agree with Jon although I would say the two things that really set it apart from the Kit are the speed (maybe the fastest 8k I've ever used) and the polish (a cloudy finish). In terms of the cutting edge it delivers, it doesn't shave as well but for food it feels more aggressive than the Kit and stays aggressive feeling longer.
    As I have been playing around with different finishing stones and edges I have come to really not like the kitayama all that much as a finishing stone for double bevel knives. I actually do not use it at all at any stage of sharpening a double bevel knife anymore. I do however use it for single bevel and like it with those.

Jon how many of my knives do I need to bring to test out stones in your shop?

dont worry too much... i have quite a few sitting around to play with... just bring a few if you want (though in truth you dont NEED to bring any)

My co-workers find it quite hilarious how multiple part of my vacation are knife oriented. What can I say....

Jon, how do stones of this type work on very abrasion resistant steel like the vanadium bearing steels from Crucible?