Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gesshin 8k stone in action

i've had great success with the stone on the following steels:
    white #1 and #2, Blue #1 and #2, Blue super, ginsanko, the konosuke hd steel, 13c26, 19c27, sg1, sg2, zdp189, cpm154, skd11, skd12, d2, w2, 52100, skh, the aristugu a-type steel, s30v, aus8, aus10, sk3, sk4, sk5, cm154... well, thats about all i can think of that i've tried so far.

uh... VG series steels? haha You must be tired. The stone works great with these too. Haven't tried my Heckels though...

Well, if is will handle CPM S30V, then I shouldn't have a problem using it on anything I might work with in the foreseeable future. Thanks, Jon.

The question for down the road is how man of these durned stones will I be needing, but that is a little ways off. Still time to pick your brain on the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    no problem... let me know if you have any other questions

so, i have damn near 100 at this point, but the truth is that a good set really only needs 3 stones (maybe 4 if you like higher grit finishes)... something coarse (300-700 grit range is best... there are coarser stones, but its a huge PITA to remove those scratches and the speed you gain is not that great over the 300-700 grit range options), something medium (1000-2000 girt), and something fine (4000-6000 grit)... as the 4th, you could add a super fine stone (8k+), but its not always necessary.

ive really been thinking about this purchase for after i pick up the 2k. i have a kitayama and feel like the 2k will work well with it. i could always throw in the 4k if its too toothy to smooth the edge out a bit.

i do agree with some above posts in that the kitayama does shave well but loses its edge relatively quickly and that it should really only be used for single bevels. i personally use the 400 and 4k for my gyuto, petty, and mioroshi and prefer that for the professional life which leads me to the gesshin 8k. i feel as though this purchase might end up happening due to the fact that it sounds like it leaves a better professional kitchen edge than the kitayama even for something like a yanagi.

i might be way off on all this so id love to hear some other opinions

I have completely stopped using my kitayama except for chisel ground knives. If I am shaving my face with a kitchen knife then I probably would through the kitayama back in there but I have recently been going from a 4-6k stone straight to the strop. I hope to play around with stones when I head to LA and maybe that will change some things. But no matter what I just pass on the kitayama when it comes to professional setting edges.

i have stopped stropping as well just for the same reason as you stated mattrud, im not going to shave with my kitchen knife so why refine the edge that much. the 400 gives me a very nice toothy feeling and immediately after, the 4k polishes the teeth and give a toothy feeling cutting edge that can shave my arm hair. i dont need to do anything else

personally im just thinking about this 8k for my single bevels and even more so, the yanagi