Unusual Yoshikane alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since I saw a white steel Yoshikane. Some of the old heads here may remember Dr Naka who offered them (Nashiji finished versions too).

Very well priced too...around £130 shipped to the UK, no tax. I'm affraid I had to do it...

I would like to see some more pics. A Yoshikane is my go-to knife, but the personnel there has obviously changed a bit l since I purchased mine. Even though knives which are clearly heavily influenced by them have come onto the scene, it's good to see these becoming more available again. I would probably spring for a suji in this line.

From what I've heard from some fellow Germans who ordered there, one can always ask for choil&spine pictures via email. Guys running the store seem to be a helpful and friendly bunch, but the store design surely isn't up to/geared towards fast & easy placing of orders for international/european buyers (no english version, sending stuff to locations outside of Sweden needs some pre-order mail conversation) and b) the presentation of the products in terms of data/specs & pictures isn't done in a way that caters towards our (=knife enthusiasts community) needs, if one compares it with say JKI, JNS or K&S...

From what I've heard from some fellow Germans who ordered there, one can always ask for choil&spine pictures via email. Guys running the store seem to be a helpful and friendly bunch, but the store design surely isn't up to/geared towards fast & easy placing of orders for international/european buyers (no english version, sending stuff to locations outside of Sweden needs some pre-order mail conversation) and b) the presentation of the products in terms of data/specs & pictures isn't done in a way that caters towards our (=knife enthusiasts community) needs, if one compares it with say JKI, JNS or K&S...

I second this, although my order for a Kurosaki AS went really well a few months ago. The shipping is pretty cheap, as is the Swedish Kroner!

I will take measurements when it comes in, in the meantime it will be a long wait if you miss out!

I second this, although my order for a Kurosaki AS went really well a few months ago. The shipping is pretty cheap, as is the Swedish Kroner!

I will take measurements when it comes in, in the meantime it will be a long wait if you miss out!

I third this. :) I really like Cleancut, but I live in Sweden so the web site is more easy to use for me. Also, their store is on my side of town (Stockholm) which is nice. Great customer service. Don't hesitate to e-mail them if you have any questions. But I agree it would be nice with measurements of the knives on the web site. Also, they just remade their site and their search filter disappeared. I hope it will be back soon.

And, sorry MrOli, but I beat you to it. ;) Got my Yoshikane Gyuto 240 from them yesterday and took some pictures of it today.

Also, I got my Toyama Noborikoi Sujihiki 300 from Maksim today, so the first set of pictures contains both knives: https://drive.google.com/folderview...ZGQkJzdldZMWtzYlh0bkpqSmc4NU8xdTg&usp=sharing

Here's a profile shot, choil shot and carrot shot :wink: of the Yoshikane: https://drive.google.com/folderview...s0bnNtN3M3cGJUem9pMG1BZGZHYnBLbXM&usp=sharing

Some quick measurements...
Edge length: approx 240 mm
Height at heel: 49 mm
Spine thickness at middle of blade: 2.2 mm
Weight: 178 grams

I haven't used it much, just tried it out on some carrots. I was worried that the transition from blade side to the grind (blade road) would cause wedge problems, but I didn't notice much of this. I could feel some resistance building up when cutting, but the knife went smoothly through the thick carrot anyway. In fact, it was a pleasure to use and I could chop up some carrot halves by just letting the weight of the blade do all the work. The food release was good as well. I really like the look of this hammered kurouchi. Very smooth and the surface catches light and reflects it, making me think of fish/reptile scales.

Please note that these are only my first impressions and I haven't tried it out for real yet. But I think this is my kind of knife. I've been using a Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 lately, and this was much more fun to use. I think the Kono may be a bit too thin for my taste....

Sweeeeet! Mine will be here on monday according to UPS. It is starting to look like an absolute bargain for a 240 !

Yes, it would be great to hear some second opinions from you MrOli.

Also, I measured it again and the blade height at the heel is closer to 48 mm than 49.

I third this. :) I really like Cleancut, but I live in Sweden so the web site is more easy to use for me. Also, their store is on my side of town (Stockholm) which is nice. Great customer service. Don't hesitate to e-mail them if you have any questions. But I agree it would be nice with measurements of the knives on the web site. Also, they just remade their site and their search filter disappeared. I hope it will be back soon.

And, sorry MrOli, but I beat you to it. ;) Got my Yoshikane Gyuto 240 from them yesterday and took some pictures of it today.

Also, I got my Toyama Noborikoi Sujihiki 300 from Maksim today, so the first set of pictures contains both knives: https://drive.google.com/folderview...ZGQkJzdldZMWtzYlh0bkpqSmc4NU8xdTg&usp=sharing

Here's a profile shot, choil shot and carrot shot :wink: of the Yoshikane: https://drive.google.com/folderview...s0bnNtN3M3cGJUem9pMG1BZGZHYnBLbXM&usp=sharing

Some quick measurements...
Edge length: approx 240 mm
Height at heel: 49 mm
Spine thickness at middle of blade: 2.2 mm
Weight: 178 grams

I haven't used it much, just tried it out on some carrots. I was worried that the transition from blade side to the grind (blade road) would cause wedge problems, but I didn't notice much of this. I could feel some resistance building up when cutting, but the knife went smoothly through the thick carrot anyway. In fact, it was a pleasure to use and I could chop up some carrot halves by just letting the weight of the blade do all the work. The food release was good as well. I really like the look of this hammered kurouchi. Very smooth and the surface catches light and reflects it, making me think of fish/reptile scales.

Please note that these are only my first impressions and I haven't tried it out for real yet. But I think this is my kind of knife. I've been using a Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 lately, and this was much more fun to use. I think the Kono may be a bit too thin for my taste....

My Yoshikane has made it!

The dims and profile are similar to limpet's example showing consistency.

It goes through onions like a ghost blade with excellent separation. I find the tip to be thin without feeling fragile.

There is a flat spot covering 1/3 of the edge, followed by a subtle sweep then more pronounced until the tip. You can lift the heel high enough for a big onion, no worries here it is pretty versatile.

The edge is a bit more aggressive than the SKD version, no doubt it will take a screaming edge.

Very good stuff and an absolute steal at the price!

Potatoes (huge ones) were not even a challenge thanks to a good balance of separation and cutting ability.

Best for last, the fit, finish and grind are all top notch if you can live with the basic D shape yew and horn handle. The hammer finish is reptilian indeed with smooth and glistening dragon like scales. I was advised that when they are gone it will be a long time until they become available again...just in case you are hesitating.

Another gem by Yoshikane and I can't say I was surprised given the usual standard. It is great to see Mr Yoshida's nephew continuing the good work.

You'd need to email them but it may be the same as UK shipping at 200SEK (+/- 24USD). They'll send you a link to the international shipping cost then you add it to your basket.

I have Yoshikane SKD Hakata Santoku and the grind looks very similar (basically a wide bevel knife), not the best on tall hard vegetables, but still very good. Nice F&F and distal taper. I have learned how practical thin tip is on Gyuto from Andy and the Yoshikane got that one very nicely too.

A quick thing I need to point out. The cladding is Iron, not Stainless steel as it is showing colours after prepping the family feast.

I have Yoshikane SKD Hakata Santoku and the grind looks very similar (basically a wide bevel knife), not the best on tall hard vegetables, but still very good. Nice F&F and distal taper. I have learned how practical thin tip is on Gyuto from Andy and the Yoshikane got that one very nicely too.

I have the SKD Hakata too, great knife! The guests are always asking about this one.

I have the SKD Hakata too, great knife! The guests are always asking about this one.

I totally love the strong front-forward weight distribution, flat-isch profile, fine tip and last but not least - the great edge it takes with not much effort. I also have a (now) super thin Carter funayuki in about the same size and really enjoy both of them and switching from one to another as both prefer very different cutting style.

I totally love the strong front-forward weight distribution, flat-isch profile, fine tip and last but not least - the great edge it takes with not much effort. I also have a (now) super thin Carter funayuki in about the same size and really enjoy both of them and switching from one to another as both prefer very different cutting style.

The only knife that cut me...the corner of the heel sank effortlessly into my thumb! Definitely good for proteins!

A quick thing I need to point out. The cladding is Iron, not Stainless steel as it is showing colours after prepping the family feast.
When I read this I promptly went and chopped up a couple of onions and you're right. Got some patina up on that "fake kasumi" part above the core steel. It's going to be interesting to see how the patina will affect the reptile kurouchi... :chin:

When I read this I promptly went and chopped up a couple of onions and you're right. Got some patina up on that "fake kasumi" part above the core steel. It's going to be interesting to see how the patina will affect the reptile kurouchi... :chin:

Get a few Nectarines, the blade and cladding will turn blue. The kurouchi will remain as it is I think, it seems sturdier than the Takeda and Shigefusa kurouchis. It will look awesome in a while.

I am totally happy with the knife so I am keeping it but I contacted the vendor so they can change their description.

Sounds similar to the Kumagoro V2. Apparently this line is also made by ex-Yoshikane craftsmen.

Sounds similar to the Kumagoro V2. Apparently this line is also made by ex-Yoshikane craftsmen.

Pretty similar indeed, the core is Shirogami and it definitely bears the Yoshikane Kanji.

Back