Slaying a coconut

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharptools

Reaction score
By now everyone must be cringing at the thought of using their beloved knife to try to crack open a regular or young coconut.

I was just wondering what everyone around here used for that? (if you do at all)

I have some Zwilling Pro knives that are specifically for tasks where I don't want to use a nicer one, they are out on my counter in a block, the good ones are in sayas in a Drawer until I can get my custom mag rack speced out. If I were to use a J-knife, I'd use my Misono Swedish steel but only the western Deba

[video=youtube;UcKSjMrc8gc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcKSjMrc8gc[/video]

I'm surprised no one has tried to sneak in the crab claw cleaver lady video yet.

Opening a mature coconut or a young coconut are very different things, but for the latter, I use a Mac Ultimate 9" chef knife. That knife is built very tough, and I'm pretty precise, so no damage in all the coconuts I've opened with it, and I don't feel worried that I would damage it.

I use my US army surplus cleaver for real heavy duty breakage like coconuts or smashing lobster shells.

Are we talking about the same coconuts as we have in England? Those hard brown things with liquid and hard white flesh on the inside?

If so, I use a hammer.

I know the pointy ones in the video as Thai (or baby) coconuts and the technique used in the video is the easiest way to open them (minus the blood)...the hard ones with brown fibers are what I use the back of a cleaver to open.

I know the pointy ones in the video as Thai (or baby) coconuts and the technique used in the video is the easiest way to open them (minus the blood)...the hard ones with brown fibers are what I use the back of a cleaver to open.
Agree, although an even easier way for young coconuts, instead of multiple chops to remove the top, once you get the heel of your chef knife into the coconut (something hefty, but ones with full bolsters won't really work), you can then stick the tip in and then turn the coconut to cleanly cut the top off.

I use an old clever. Pretty dull at this point but still splits them wide open.

for the hard shells, I use a drill bit to put in 3 holes, drain the liquid, then just slam it on the counter or concrete floor to crack it. For the "young" ones with the softer outer shell I use a Global cleaver

The Itinomonn butcher worked great on a regular coconut, but I did first use a wood saw to make a single short cut (such that the surface was cut through on 1-2cm). The I just sticked the tip (about 2-3cm) of the butcher inside and twisted the blade and forced the coconut to crack. No chips on the (brutally strongly ground) blade. I was impressed.

Back