Hello from Seattle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masont

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a novice home cook who has started to enjoy cooking more and more as I've done all the cooking for our household for the last year and a half - pregnancy and having a new baby hasn't agreed with my wife's energy level, so I just took it over - one less thing for her to worry about. As it turns out, it's a lot of fun, and you can go pretty deep down the rabbit hole. I've gotten a smoker and an immersion circulator, and have been enjoying trying out new techniques.

Then I realized my knives are OK at best, and I use my chef's knife every single day, more than any other tool in the kitchen. Then I realize that on top of my knives sucking, not only are they not very sharp, but there are little nicks in the blade. So I'm in process of selecting my first good knife and sharpening set (210mm gyuto) and as it turns out I am very lucky to be so close to Epicurian Edge, which is less than 10 minutes down the road.

I went there today and got to touch/feel a few of the knives I have been reading about on forums (I am a bit of a nerd, and as tempted as I was to go buy a Shun, I had to indulge my nerdery and now I'm going to end up spending well more than what I thought was an expensive knife) There were two I liked the best

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85485
http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=696

As I understand, these are very similar knives. I've liked everything I have read about the Bu-Rei-Zen, but that Damascus blade just looks really good. Both feel great in my hand - as it turns out I prefer a Western style handle, though that's probably because it's what I'm accustomed to.

If any of you are feeling generous with your time, there are a couple recommendations I could use:

1. A good video on knife technique. I am capable of cutting things, but I know nothing about how to do it right, which makes me think I'm doing it wrong.
2. A good video on knife sharpening technique. I've got a couple Henckles knives I don't want to put out to pasture, and I'd like to be able to sharpen up my steak knives in addition to maintaining the blade I'm about to buy
3. Any recommendations I don't know enough to ask about just yet

Thanks!

Welcome!

EE will make you very happy!

For knife skills, try some of Rick's videos (Theory)...you can start with a couple he posted in a recent thread here (post number 9).

As to sharpening videos, check out Jon's (JKI) playlist here.

Enjoy the ride!

"An Edge in the Kitchen" is a good foundation book that is available from most library systems. A basic primer on knife styles, techniques, sharpening it's also good to have in one's library. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0061188484/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Rick's videos are very good though a little fast and a little loud for this old fart. Japanese Knife Imports has a sharpening playlist, some technique videos and also has Japanese Knife Society technique videos on their website.

If you find a guy with a tree stump held together with hose clamps you might want to give it a pass...

Last edited by a moderator:
"An Edge in the Kitchen" is a good foundation book that is available from most library systems. A basic primer on knife styles, techniques, sharpening it's also good to have in one's library. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0061188484/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Rick's videos are very good though a little fast and a little loud for this old fart. Japanese Knife Imports has a sharpening playlist, some technique videos and also has Japanese Knife Society technique videos on their website.

If you find a guy with a tree stump held together with hose clamps you might want to give it a pass...

Sweet. My library system has that book, I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Along with about five other books on knife technique and care. I've got two weeks of vacation coming up soon, sounds like a good time to indulge a new obsession.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can wait a little longer, EE has excellent Black Friday sales. Their "Epicurean" line is made by Ryusen, the company that makes both the knives you're looking at. http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=87248 Seems like they usually are included in the Black Friday sales, for about 1/2 off.

The Epicurean line has the SG2 steel of the Bu-Rei-Zen, a damacus cladding, and an upgraded cocobolo wood handle. It also has a nicely rounded spine and choil (good for comfort--no sharp edges where you grab it.) I don't have the gyuto, but I have a couple other knives in the line, and they are really nice. Sharpen up easily and get a great edge. The only negative is that I've seen a little microchipping, but I've found that a regular touchup on a ceramic rod pretty much eliminates the chipping problem. Unless my husband has been using them. :D

If you can wait a little longer, EE has excellent Black Friday sales. Their "Epicurean" line is made by Ryusen, the company that makes both the knives you're looking at. http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=87248 Seems like they usually are included in the Black Friday sales, for about 1/2 off.

The Epicurean line has the SG2 steel of the Bu-Rei-Zen, a damacus cladding, and an upgraded cocobolo wood handle. It also has a nicely rounded spine and choil (good for comfort--no sharp edges where you grab it.) I don't have the gyuto, but I have a couple other knives in the line, and they are really nice. Sharpen up easily and get a great edge. The only negative is that I've seen a little microchipping, but I've found that a regular touchup on a ceramic rod pretty much eliminates the chipping problem. Unless my husband has been using them. :D

I don't think I'm going to be able to wait a few months, but it's good to know those knives are usually included in the BF sale, as there are a couple more knives in the set I'm going to want eventually.

After sleeping on it I think I've landed on the EE Bu-Rei-Zen.

I don't think I'm going to be able to wait a few months, but it's good to know those knives are usually included in the BF sale, as there are a couple more knives in the set I'm going to want eventually.

After sleeping on it I think I've landed on the EE Bu-Rei-Zen.

Er. I think I've landed on the one I linked, not the EE one. Though the knife you linked is absolutely gorgeous and exactly what I want, that's a bit more than I want to spend. Maybe if it's on the BF sale. :)

Going down there now and excited.

Er. I think I've landed on the one I linked, not the EE one. Though the knife you linked is absolutely gorgeous and exactly what I want, that's a bit more than I want to spend. Maybe if it's on the BF sale. :)

Going down there now and excited.

Yeah, they're kinda pricey when not on sale, but with BF discounts, they get pretty interesting. I describe mine as a Blazen in a party dress.

I think you made a good choice. I like both of those knives. And have been considering those exact models there at EE. I felt they we're a little retail pricy though. The older Blazen was embossed in English the newer is not and has a largeish Kanji character, minor quibble though really. The Ryusen Damascus is pretty much the same knife as the Hattori HD I think. That's about as good as VG -10 can get. I wonder if the Heat treat on the Ryusen is as good as the Hattori HD is suppose to be.

@Castalia It's a little small, but is your avatar of a Paul Klee painting? Looks like it, just wondering, he's my favorite artist.

Having a nice knife is pretty much amazing. I don't have much to compare this to, but I've been having a blast with it. My only complaint is that veggies seems to stick to the side of it a lot more than what I'm used to, but it's a very small complaint.

Thank you all for your help. I haven't responded to everyone individually, but I've watched all the videos, and I'm 100 pages into "an edge in the kitchen" and am having every other knife book my library system has delivered to my local library. This is fun.

Back