Knives & Stones K&S Custom Tanaka Blue 2 Damascus 240mm now available

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Tanaka Blue 2 Damascus Gyuto 240mm

Similar to the Ginsan line launched a few days ago (see it here) I am gradually launching the Blue 2 damascus line and the first is the popular 240mm Gyuto.

Tanaka_Blue_2_Damascus_Gyuto_240mm__99941.1439473242.1280.1280.jpg

The Ginsans are very popular with the 5x 240s gone in one day, so I have doubled up this time, please grab yours while they are available. I will add the rest of the models soon.

I happen to have a stock Tanaka this time so I have done some simple comparison :)

Tanaka-Blue-2-Damascus-Gyuto-240mm-compare.jpg

Tanaka-Blue-2-Damascus-Gyuto-240mm-compare-2.jpg

Tanaka-Blue-2-Damascus-Gyuto-240mm-compare-4.jpg

You can buy the knife here:
Tanaka Blue 2 Damascus Gyuto 240mm

Nice. I really like the red spacer between handle and ferrule.

the profile looks different from the one i bought from metalmaster, which is another positive thing to me.

Waiting on my 240 ginsanko . Really want to pull the trigger on a blue 2. I'm pretty sure it's the same grind ?

Any plans to carry the single bevels?

Waiting on my 240 ginsanko . Really want to pull the trigger on a blue 2. I'm pretty sure it's the same grind ?

Not even close. The ginsanko is a wide bevel with a distinct transition between the bevel and the flat part of the blade; the damascus is a smooth convex grind.

But they both have decent food release, and are very good knives for the price.

Nice. I really like the red spacer between handle and ferrule.

Thanks, wasn't stating there is a spacer because they were decided to be included into the production handles half way, so all the 270 handles missed out :\

Any plans to carry the single bevels?

They will gradually become a full line. Tanaka isn't the fastest in terms of production. I haven't seen a 240 R2 gyuto for a year now ....

Not even close. The ginsanko is a wide bevel with a distinct transition between the bevel and the flat part of the blade; the damascus is a smooth convex grind.

But they both have decent food release, and are very good knives for the price.

Question. Might be off topic but from what I understand, a wide bevel knife should be sharpened via hamagura sharpening aka clamshell bevel . Now a lot of WB knives that I've seen both new and used that may appear to be wide bevels , really are not, or at least they don't sharpen it as you would a typical WB knife. For example, the tanaka ginsanko has a pretty visible primary bevel on the edge which isn't easily visible since its usually a microbevel . Does that mean that since it has a primary bevel , it should be sharpened the standard non WB way? This has always made me curious bcuz I see people sharpen this way on WB knives and it confuses me bcuz when I got my Kochi for the first time years back, I had asked Jon many questions pertaining to WB sharpening and he said that in order to get the highest potential of the knife, WB knife needs to be sharpened accordingly. It can be really confusing sometimws bcuz what may appear to be a wide bevel may just be a finish for the knife itself for asthetics, totally having nothing to with performance. Please chime in knowledgeable ones!!

Weird request i plan on buying one of these tanaka blades in thé comming days but am having trouble deciding among them. Is there any chance you could take a photo of all 4 laid side by side at thé heel solely for comparing thé shape of the blade length and height differences its dificult to visualize them all.

240 ginsan is sold out so I only have 210, 270 ginsan and 240 blue 2. Would that work?

Shig 240 is for reference purpose since everyone probably have a fair idea about its profile.

24 and 27
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1439696998.745268.jpg

With the 21.
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1439697059.822115.jpg

These are gorgeous knives. Tanakas are mean performers, and the handles and proper fit and finish set these off.

The store was really far away. Glad I found my way back.

Just ordered a damascus 240 pumpt to say the least :) I love that new knife smell.

Noooo I was gonna get one when I got my next paycheck. Bummer.

Just laid out the scratch for a Blue2 240mm. The vegetables don't stand a chance ...

Cheers,

Jack

Blade arrived, managed to cut myself within 30 seconds of use, safe to say we are gonna be the best of friends :D thanks James she's a real beaut

Back