Always bad luck with traffic.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
This spring break on our trip out to Cali a 5 hour drive from San Diego to the Sequioa Forest turned into almost 9 hours, thanks to nonsensical traffic.
Today what should have been a 7 hour drive to Baltimore took 11 hours.
Traffic sucks so bad, and it's such a waste of your life.
Aaarrggghhh! What's your worst traffic nightmare?
Is it LA or Honolulu? NYC?

Here in LA (Lower Alabama), they love to build long causeways. An accident will back up traffic for hours. Today, an RV overturned blocking both eastbound lanes and it took almost three hours to clear. Traffic was backed up for miles and some lucky people were stuck in a the tunnel under Mobile Bay.

jb-bayway-wreck.jpg

DC and Boston...oh yeah, your hometown is pretty bad.

I work in traffic / transportation engineering and the "problems" we have up here are nothing compared to things like this. Our city never really had the will years ago to get into the limited access freeways (not necessarily a bad thing) so we have mostly at-grade intersections, our Council finally approved funding for dynamic traffic monitoring and our Signals branch is actually allowed to hire more staff. I find it interesting hearing about some of the real traffic issues on the ITE forums.

I dare to say sydney is one of the worst among major cities. We have some prehistoric train system that I can't even call it subway and there are 5 million people!

This is one of the reasons I chose to work for myself, since spending 2 hours commuting each day is beyond me.

I got stuck with my family on our way home from a summer trip on the way to Newark airport on the 4th of August in the day of traffic from hell. What should have been a 30 minute ride to airport turned into 3 and half hours of inching along the turnpike. There was a crazy truck crash in the morning and all the major roads in the area were affected for the rest of the day. We missed our flight and had to buy last minute tickets on another airline. That traffic jam cost us four plane tickets. Ugh! Still trying to work that one out with the airlines.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/nj_turnpike_traffic_jam.html

Here in LA (Lower Alabama), they love to build long causeways. An accident will back up traffic for hours. Today, an RV overturned blocking both eastbound lanes and it took almost three hours to clear. Traffic was backed up for miles and some lucky people were stuck in a the tunnel under Mobile Bay.

View attachment 28666

I grew up in Mobile, I cannot imagine being trapped in the Wallace tunnel. The Bayway is notorious for crap like that.

As the population rises again the traffic in New Orleans is getting unbearable, but Atlanta is hands down my least favorite.

Dude, you are in Baltimore? No GTG at one of Marc or Kostantino's places? No stop in DC for Boundary Stone or Zaytinya???? Boy, first you punt the ECG...

:nunchucks:

Dude, you are in Baltimore? No GTG at one of Marc or Kostantino's places? No stop in DC for Boundary Stone or Zaytinya???? Boy, first you punt the ECG...

:nunchucks:
Headed to Connecticut for the week, just had to stop in B'More for an O's game. Wish we would've planned to see Marc, but the GD traffic woulda screwed us anyway!
Coming to DC for the day on the 22nd. Going to see Travis for dinner.......you & the missus meet us @ B-Stone?!?!?

Headed to Connecticut for the week, just had to stop in B'More for an O's game. Wish we would've planned to see Marc, but the GD traffic woulda screwed us anyway!
Coming to DC for the day on the 22nd. Going to see Travis for dinner.......you & the missus meet us @ B-Stone?!?!?
Hmmm, last time I checked Oriole Park was just a stone's throw from Marc's places. You probably could have called and asked for delivery :hungry:

We should be around on the 22nd. The meet-up time will be the biggest factor, due to Luca. I know I can make it solo though; just may mean Leah stays home.

I dare to say sydney is one of the worst among major cities. We have some prehistoric train system that I can't even call it subway and there are 5 million people!

This is one of the reasons I chose to work for myself, since spending 2 hours commuting each day is beyond me.

I definately don't miss Sydney traffic! Nowadays my idea of traffic is if I have to wait for a passing car so I can pull out of my driveway.

Apart from a few weeks in January when our population goes from 4000 to 30,000, then I walk everywhere

What I got to see of Baltimore(in the 12 hours I was there) was lovely. Going to an Orioles game has always been on my bucket list. I really want to spend a good week or so there. I'll come back to snuggle Marc!!!

So yesterday on the drive from BMore to Armpit by the sea,CT(near Mystic/Groton).........what should have been a 5 and a half hour turned into 8.5 hours. I95 SUCKS! Getting through the Bronx and Jersey was fine....it's Connecticut that sucks.
We will be adjusting our travel plans on the pilgrimage home and may stay an extra day in DC.
I can see the traffic going the other direction and it's always at a standstill. Sometimes it looks worse than what I'm sitting in.......
......Going to be doing ALL my driving at night from now on!

chains.jpg
A snow favorite is going from Denver to the Snowmass ski resort (where my sister lives). The pass thru the mountains is called Loveland Pass and if the chains required sign is lit you can bet it will be a mess. No snow 4 hrs; worst time for me was 14 hrs. Here is what Wiki says: It is located on the Continental Divide in the Front Range west of Denver on U.S. Highway 6. The twisty road is considered to be especially treacherous during the winter months. A steep, steady 6.7% grade, along with numerous hairpin turns on either side, make it difficult to snowplow the road regularly.

Loveland is the highest mountain pass in the world that regularly stays open during a snowy winter season.

You guys are all small time. Normal day, normal road: Jakarta.

Traffic-Jam-300x192.jpg

I'm totally going to try and meditate on some of the crazy traffic images from other countries while I'm at a standstill on 95 for 3 hours......
......those guys on motorbikes don't have any kids asking "are we there yet?" Or "how many more miles?" incessantly. Like 10 minutes after we leave the driveway!
Serenity now!

Ah, You're crying like a baby. :spankarse:

Get em started planning this years Halloween costumes. From what we've seen in the past this will keep em busy for hours. Ha!

New Jersey.

I win.

I must agree, truck fire on I-95 @ exit 13 the other day, basically shut down the whole Northern part of the state and parts of New York, you couldn't move!!!!

I think for the U.S., the Washington, DC area has the worst. You never know if a trip is going to be 20 min or an hour and a half.

Back