Pair of very early 1900s Sabatier

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOli

Reaction score
$40 a piece in a local shop.

They have wooden handles and pins, the large one seems in very good condition with little wear and no corrosion at all...

Good deal?

I am trying to identify them but it's not easy. They have thin pins to hold the handle and the point at the end of the handle is elongated.

They are both chefs, the smaller one would be a no as it is quite worn. The longer one is in better nick, if it is of interest to you I can pm the details of the antique place.

The top pic looks awfully like a vintage Sheffield to me (handle is very characteristic). Are you sure they are Sabs?

They are advertised as French Sabatier early 1900. Glad I didn't pull the trigger....chaps you are a gold mine of information!

Curious what the prejudice is against early Sheffields is? I know nothing, but thought they had a solid reputation?

No prejudice here, they are usually awesome.

Joseph Rodgers and Son
George Wostenholm
Latham and Owen

Yes please.

iirc, Son has owned some real gems, and sold some on here.

Sheffield, indeed. Sabs from that time had a rat-tail tang. Full tang has become popular in France only after WW2. The old Sheffields I've seen were all made from an excellent steel, a bit harder than the best French ones.

no prejudice actually a much better set of knives
than sabatier for the time.

No prejudices here either......:)
P1010001.JPG

Back