Quantcast
More on the the Grind.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More on the the Grind....

For the knifemakers reading this, that pass I did was with pressure. To hit the other bevels I had to rock (or twist) the blade.

Dave, can you easily see the different bevels on the surface or have they been blended enough that you have to really look for them?

You have to really look for them in the light or with a straight edge, they're always blended well.

yeah... my experience is that its usually 3-4 bevels for the entire surface and edge of the knife (on double bevel knives)... blended together with a little wrist action and the finished on wheels/stones until its damn near impossible to tell whats going on. I've watched the guys doing this countless times and it still amazes me.

What is more amazing is that the seem to be doing it some cases to a price point so they have to be able to do it quickly and efficiently. I have seen knives by guys like Bill Moran where the blade has been shaped from multiple grind lines/bevels to an almost perfect shallow convex, but they they have a LOT of hours in them and are priced accordingly. No substitute for skill, experience and a pair of Mod 1 Calibrated Eyeballs.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    yeah... my experience is that its usually 3-4 bevels for the entire surface and edge of the knife (on double bevel knives)... blended together with a little wrist action and the finished on wheels/stones until its damn near impossible to tell whats going on. I've watched the guys doing this countless times and it still amazes me.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    A good finish can do magic to blending bevels. Watanabe comes to mind as a good example of that.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com