Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hiromoto AS Sujihiki Thin & Etch

dave - how thin are you getting these guys down to? like, is there a choil shot before and after?

Dave, i got the knife this morning. I know thursday is always a busy day so it's a good time to put it to work for sushi or sashimi. Slicing through tons of raw fish and it slice all of them like a melted butter. I feel it right away the performance of the blade increase significantly because of your thinning. It feels so light yet powerful to do the slice. It's no secret that hiro-AS takes screaming edge, and the best thing is it's only took me like 5 or 10 minutes to bring the edge to that level. The first time i touch the etching i was worried about the dragging effect.... but after i use it, i don't really feel it because the blade is so thin and sharp. For you guys that still undecided about hiro-AS group buy.... just go for it. After Dave thinning job, this knife blows anything on med-price level knife. The etching also make it looks like Bill Burke's cladding although i feel like it's comparing honda with ferrari.

Rio

Nice sharpening job Rio! Looks like it's working out OK for you. I'm actually surprised that the etching didn't cause a problem with the raw fish but happy that's not the case. I did buff the blade lightly to smooth the texture so maybe that helped, who knows? Anyway, it's just good to see it's working for what you want it to do.

Thanks again for the work!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    dave - how thin are you getting these guys down to? like, is there a choil shot before and after?
    I don't have choil shots nor measurements since I never thought to take any. I can tell you that the edge is pushed as thin as I feel comfortable going. The whole blades gets thinned too but most of the work is done 1/2 way down that way I leave the spine thickness as close to stock as possible.

Man Dave, that looks really good! You did a great job with that!

hey dave,
    how much would it cost to have you thin and etch a hiromoto that we already have?

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    hey dave,
    how much would it cost to have you thin and etch a hiromoto that we already have?

Hi Terry,

Thinning - $65

Etching - $50

Dang. Now that I have sent in two of my 240 knives to Dave, I am using my Hiro a lot more, but this looks super sexy. I'm thinking and thunking on this one.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I haven't had a need for a hiro until now... thanks Dave.