Steel Vs. Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklip13

Reaction score
Here is a little comparison I thought I'd share on steel performance based on my experiences of the past 3 months. I started working in a Kaiseki restaurant in Manhattan in June and have had the opportunity to greatly increase the volume of cutting I do every day.
One of the daily prep tasks I do is cutting 5 bunches of Tokyo Negi (aka scallion). I've been using this time to compare steel performance between 4 gyuto.

The 4 knives are:

Konosuke White#3 Honyaki Gyuto
Konosuke HD2 Gyuto
Yoshikane SLD Black Damascus Gyuto
Mutsumi Hinoura White#2 Gyuto

I think this is a relatively good way to test the edge holding ability of the knives for a few reasons:
The geometry/grind of the knife has very minimal effect on the cutting because of the nature of the vegetable. Sticking, wedging and food release don't play the role they would on cutting onions or potatoes for instance.
Cutting the scallions thinly require a very sharp knife, so I find it quite easy to notice any kind of dulling.
Scallions are also very fibrous and abrasive from all the grit that's in them so they dull a sharp edge faster than something like carrots. This speeds up the loss in sharpness and makes the differences in edge holding more noticeable for me.

I'm not pretending this is any kind of science, but here are the control variables that's stayed consistent over the course of the 3 month period:
Number of scallions: 5 bunches each bunch about 2 inches in diameter
Cutting board: Hinoki wood
Sharpening: for the sake of consistency I sharpened all 4 of the knives the same way. Every night before on a 5k stone.
Number of cuts: depending on the length of the scallions I would cut between 350 and 400 times per bunch.
The scallions all came from the same farm in Japan, quality was pretty consistent between days.

These are just my thoughts guys, the results definitely could be biased.

I'm scoring the knives out of 100. A 100 score would mean that I noticed zero dulling or drop in performance over the course of cutting the 5 bunches (1750-2000 cuts). I tried the job with a x50crmov Mercer knife, it was terrible! that is going to be the base line. A score of 0 would mean the knife performed equally to the Mercer.
OK, enough screwing around!
The results:

Konosuke HD2 Gyuto score: 70
Yoshikane SLD Gyuto score: 91
Mutsumi Hinoura White 2 Gyuto score: 78
Konosuke White 3 Honyaki Gyuto score: 94

Interestingly the more expensive the knife, the better it performed for me but the relationship is not linear. For example the Honyaki costs 4 times more than the HD2 but only cuts 24% better IN MY OPINION.

for me the next step is seeing how they perform on a plastic poly board. I hate using them because how how quickly they dull the knives but i have to use them sometimes. I wonder if the ranking will stay the same

I suspect it is less about hardness. All other things being equal (usual caveat about smithing/heat treatment etc.) white #3 should offer better toughness than white #2 or #1.

Not surprised at all that the Yoshi does well in this test, and that the Kono HD (contender for the most hyped knife of all time imo) doesn't show up that well.

I have to say your test is one of the better "real world" analyses that has been performed. So much better than "X has superb edge retention" or "Y is a great cutter".

I suspect it is less about hardness. All other things being equal (usual caveat about smithing/heat treatment etc.) white #3 should offer better toughness than white #2 or #1.

Not surprised at all that the Yoshi does well in this test, and that the Kono HD (contender for the most hyped knife of all time imo) doesn't show up that well.

I have to say your test is one of the better "real world" analyses that has been performed. So much better than "X has superb edge retention" or "Y is a great cutter".

+1 to all that

JKlip, any way you could explain the steps between your numbers--i.e., what was your experience in the difference in cutting that led you to those numbers? Did you have to use a bit more force to make the cuts once you noticed a knife losing its edge? Something else?

Not surprised at all about the Yoshikane, both SKD and SLD resist wear superbly.

I am however perplex at the HD performance, I though HD was praised a lot.

Oh well, I am more of a Sanjo lover anyway!

Yes the numbers are the results for dulling, which for me is having to apply more pressure on the cuts. (Also accordion cuts came up as the knife dulled but that is also related to my technique)

Not surprised at all about the Yoshikane, both SKD and SLD resist wear superbly.

I am however perplex at the HD performance, I though HD was praised a lot.

Oh well, I am more of a Sanjo lover anyway!

I kind of regret grading the test out of 100, it makes a 50 seem like a fail. I am really impressed with the Konosuke HD2, especially the grind (the best of any knife I have ever used). A score of 70 is still super high performance, just obviously lower than the Honyaki

Hey Jon -
It's Matteo formerly of Kajitsu. I figured you'd be on here! Nice read - I did find cutting negi was a great test of an edge (and a really quick way to dull my White #2, especially w my amateur sharpening skills). When i was there - there were only poly boards, no hinoki. I love rinsing the veg and running my hand through and checking the cuts.
Anyways I gotta get up there I keep saying,
Cheers

Hey Jon -
It's Matteo formerly of Kajitsu. I figured you'd be on here! Nice read - I did find cutting negi was a great test of an edge (and a really quick way to dull my White #2, especially w my amateur sharpening skills). When i was there - there were only poly boards, no hinoki. I love rinsing the veg and running my hand through and checking the cuts.
Anyways I gotta get up there I keep saying,
Cheers

Hi Matteo, nice to find you here!
The Hinoki board is mine, brought it from home, its one of the thin ones from Tosho.

here's some documentation of what a poor employee i was.
this was me every day - last to show up, first to leave, and never missed a nap. #lazyamerican

10201630731641993.jpg

sorry to jack an otherwise informative thread with my stupid nostalgia.
cheers

Hahaha! Who took the picture? And that Siberian Birch table is absolutely the most beautiful piece of furniture I've ever seen .

Back