New Mizuno Petties

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just noticed Koki has added some 150mm petties to the Mizuno Hontanren Blue#2 series
$135 including a Saya seems like a pretty good price
199B36CB-D022-48D2-A908-146967F6E60B_zpsjmse42vb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow I just bought a 150 heiji petty. I definitely need two pettys....riighht?? Hehehe. Nice job peeping this out Huw!

I wonder if they'd make a lefty suminigashi. :idea2:

I guess I'll have to ask.

Has anyone used a similar profile?

Interesting profile, looks to come to quite a point at the tip there.

Profile looks great. Thanks for the find Huw. I'm going to sleep on this one before I make a final decision.

Black, white, or marble? :wink:

I think i want this and white horn for me. It just looks different softer.

This look like my next petty right there.
Anyone ordered a ferrule other than black?
If so how long did it take? The wait is described in rather cryptic terms on the site.

This look like my next petty right there.
Anyone ordered a ferrule other than black?
If so how long did it take? The wait is described in rather cryptic terms on the site.

Your best bet is to ask Koki.

Edit to add: Koki is the guy who runs JCK.

What... I didn't change the color from black because I didn't want to wait longer ..... The email I got for the black horn is also 3-6 days. (you got me good this time Koki)

Mine is due to ship this week (blonde horn). There was a short delay due to Japanese holidays. I ordered on 11th August.

Does anyone know how reactive mizuno is in general? I am concerned as I usually cut fruit or trim protein with petty of this size. Trying to decide if it makes sense for me. Pretty good deal though.

Huw would have the best handle on this, as he has had a couple of Mizuno gyuto recently. I handled one ages ago which was heavily patina'd and it was fine. Mine is getting aquainted with beef blood first up.

Mizuno's are fairly reactive, not quite as rust prone as Shiges or Katos but they like to take on that black patina with acid. I would use this for cutting protein yes, but I would avoid fruit and citrus with it. Solution? Buy this and you still have justification for getting a stainless petty in the future :)

This looks pretty awesome! For me, though, petties are generally stainless. I have to confess to something - my petty of choice in the last six months or so (not mini gyuto, but petty) is a Mcusta in VG10. It's a terrific knife.

Buuuutttt, this Mizuno looks great!

Yep just received mine. I couldn't agree more with you on the tip. Still a good buy for the money.

If anyone has time, a pic would help. The nimble tip was a point of interest for me.

There's a pic in the Show Off Your Newest Knife thread. The tip looks plenty sharp enough for silver skin removal, which is what I was after, just not as crazy pointy as the pics on JCK's website suggest.

Ready for mine to be shipped now, dang it.

Can I ask why the Mizuno tips wouldn't be ground to a sharper point? I got a Mizuno in the same condition, but wasn't sure why. I still really like the knife, despite the tip.

Glad I waited before snagging one of these. The aggressive tip/overall profile, combined with the steel looked like a good solution to my seam butchery needs...

Really wish I could find another one of those 150 Kono petties that Jon carried 5 years back. they were meat scalpels, just this side of single bevels...

20150905_103206%20a.jpg

I like the profile, and don't think that the photo on the JCK website is particularly misleading. Distal taper is very nice, spine and choil are nicely eased (requested, in line with Huw's recent comments with his gyuto). Handle is basic, but that's how I like them, saya is similarly basic but fits well.

I think this is a bit of a bargain - It's been a while since I have seen a Miz, but this one is really not making me want a similar gyuto any less.

Latest posts

Back