Hood and Gas Range cleaning?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of a trusted resource on how to clean and maintain a hood and gas range? I have never had each and plan to read the manuals for each but a nice video or article would be a great reference. I know a number of you have alot of experience with these items and experience is always a great teacher.

Thanks
Jared

At home everything is wiped down after each use. For regular clean I use a Karcher steam cleaner with high pressure nozzle and also a small steam head that takes microfibre cloths. Guaranteed grease free zone.

Better look at the manual for the hood so you know how to access the filters, etc. On my Vent-A-Hood you basically remove two cover plates to access the full underside. That lets you clean (using a degreaser after initially just using paper towels to get any liquid grease). The filters pull out and cam be washed in sink of dishwasher. Can also pull the funs to fully clean the housings, but can't say I've bothered with that.

For the gas stove I mainly crank the burners to burn off any spilled crud, and clean the pull-out tray underneath. Every now and then the cast iron grates get pulled and cleaned in the sink. The stainless steel border around the top gets wiped down every day or so, but more for aesthetics than anything else.

Wildboar is right to suggest starting with the manual but OP requested the next level of forum input - unscientific stories of victory and the agony of defeat.

There are at least four types of hoods and more importantly how the venting goes (that needs to be cleaned too). Do you have either a description ( I have a best chimney 1200CFM with four stainless primary filters, dual fans and outside venting) for example or pics.

I am personally very concerned with chimney fires from cooking grease condensation ( I have a thermidor 50K BTU wok cooktop and four 20K BTU burners) but only the hood filters are accessible. The fan motors get a lot of condensation and only dis-assembly allows steam cleaning access that restaurants use. AND, I have wood cabinets and floor so unlike a restaurant with hard surfaces and floor drains, no place for the hood swarf to go.

So, this forum is darned helpful and full of opinions and I have shared my one such experience. Please describe (pics are better with brands) for your setup and then the magic will happen.

Also, congrats on getting to the fine control of gas. It really makes a difference when you can turn the heat off when you don't/can't move the 8 gallon pot of stock.

I found the manuals at the house but there doesn't seem to be one for the hood. The stove manual doesn't even specify the output of the range burners. I'll post a few pictures tonight that might be helpful. They are both thermador and around 10-15 years old. I suspect they are getting close to end life but I hope to stretch them out a little bit longer.

S8uQUxHEGKD5gzC056fp914O-O3_IqRGnqyJoCIQ0Zs=w526-h935-no

Alot of that under there. There is grease residue. I'll take it down and snap a few more pictures next week. I think I'll clean it/check it out sometime within the next month. There is a lot to do, grease build up is fair so I suspect I can make it for a little while. Unpacking and getting the household up and running is more of a priority up front. I foresee alot of sandwiches and salads in my future :).

Thanks
Jared

I went through this same process a couple years ago. Searching returned very little. This is a restaurant kitchen, right? The hood filters should be soaked in a bath of commercial degreaser (terribly caustic stuff) for a couple hours, in the deepest sinks you've got. Be careful about an overnight soak because the degreaser will start to alter the aluminum itself. When you get them out of the bath, use a high-pressure sprayer to knock out what you can from behind the slats. Use grill screens and metal scrubbies to touch up by hand. Make sure the filters are cleaned with just soap and water at least weekly. I ran my kitchens so that each night we'd alternate cleaning the hood and the range. The hood itself needs to be cleaned by hand. The all of the ducting and exhaust can be cleaned by specialized services.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there's no replacement for cleaning the range by hand. The 10-burner that I inherited was in terrible shape but with just me and my sous, we were able to get it scratched uniformly in about 10 hours. Use a little bit a degreaser and soak the grills for just 15-20 minutes (remember that they'll rust), then use grill screens and those grill cleaning brushes that have a flat blade on the front.

I hope this was of any help!

Ah! I see now that this is likely at home. Sorry about that. Some of the suggestions still apply.

Back