Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A potential sous-vide candidate?

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    What kind of proteins do you guys tend to prepare using this technique? How do they look when they come out of the bag and what do you do with them after they are cooked?
    Eggs, beef, pork, fish, chicken, any protein works. For most proteins you bag them up, sous vide them and then sear them after you take them out.
    As far as the pickling question goes I thought the idea was that the liquid gets pushed into your product? Not really sure about this.

The impression I got was that the the liquids are squeezed out of the food and when you "repressurize" the pickling liquid moves in to fill in the space. I'm not sure, but that sounds a little like the vacuum bagging process that Matt Diskin is using for his G10 products. You pull air out of one end of the bag and the resin is introduced at the other end. A little bit different than normal vacuum bagging that improves the wetting process. Thanks for the answer. I was wondering if you could sear meat and at what stage in the process you did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Eggs, beef, pork, fish, chicken, any protein works. For most proteins you bag them up, sous vide them and then sear them after you take them out.
    As far as the pickling question goes I thought the idea was that the liquid gets pushed into your product? Not really sure about this.

Things I have sous-vide:

Beef, chicken, lamb, fish, pork, rabbit, eggs, octopus, beets, turnips, sunchokes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, artichokes, baby carrots, fennel, mushrooms, potatoes, cabbage,well, just about every vegetable except green ones, fruits and ice cream.

If I think of any more I'll add them later.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Ice cream works great, btw. the custard is nice, and no whisking!

Anybody do beans yet?

I am going to Napa and SF for the next 5 days to drink wine and ogle the works of Picasso, but I will be happy to try it after I get home. No chamber vac here (yet) but I'm sure I can sort things out well enough.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Wow! My kid's cutting a molar, and i missed out on a whole thread I started!

Yeah, I was talking about sous-vide because the real problem with beans is that you need water and heat to cook them properly, and you want it to go as slowly as possible, so it creates and even-textured bean. But the problem with water is that it moves around at the temps required for cooking beans, so vacuum sealing it and cooking it at a very low temp in a bath sounded like a brilliant idea.

I don't have a circulator, I was hoping to live vicariously through someone else.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work, but I'm sure some experimentation would be in order to find the optimal time and temp. At very low temp, it would take a VERY long time. My inclination would be to start at a high temp and work backwards, lowering temp and extending time with each batch, taking notes along the way.

Yeah, once recipe I saw said up to 48 hours. It would also be nice to use a concentrated flavored liquid (stock, tomato juice, etc, and some fat probably wouldnt hurt either, haha) in the bag so the beans soak that up.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

So do you guys have HACCP plans? And do you need variances?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    So do you guys have HACCP plans? And do you need variances?
    I don't...cause nobody's done if before me and they don't pay me near enough to do that kind of work, only to have my uppers screw it up and change everything next month. Why?

because when the health dept came to do their annual inspection they freaked out when they saw "sous vide" on the menu.