Tojiro 210mm blade Gyuto F-694 chef knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_bsg

Reaction score
Tojiro 210mm blade Gyuto F-694 chef knife

Anyone know what is it rockwell hardness?

* Is thin blade and light weight
* Receive with quite sharp, but if want to have it very sharp still need further polish.
* It Cut well
* Slice well
* Blade easily chip, so have to avoid cutting on hard board
* when use have to more on the slicing, rather than chopping or press cutting.
* Blade heavier than handle, so cutting provide good momentum
* Handle feels comfortable, can use for long hours
* Low price and affordable

* Rust easily, really have to do it Japanese way, use damp cloth to wipe after every 3-5 cuts, use dry cloth to wipe after use damp cloth 3-5 times, repeat and repeat......

* What really borders me about this knife is The black paint on the blade. I understand it is for anti-rust, but is super easy to fall off, it fells off in black powdery foam, it sticks onto the food, making the food looks ugly and dirty.

So I did further DIY to make the paint more lasting.

Knife received as it is:

20928889271_0a89ea1147_z_d.jpg

Due to the paint easy to fall off, I use sand paper to sand off all the existing paint, at the same time making the knife surface rough, so my paint can bond better.

20300442083_96c47c331c_z_d.jpg

20733513798_86dc63fb4a_z_d.jpg

Then I apply industrial epoxy paint, it for ship and outdoor piping use. So very lasting, strong bonding, but the paint quite thick. Due to the pain are think the Japanese word "藤次郎作" almost disappear, to me is ok, as long as it become easy to use, the paint is very slow cure, 3 hours harden, 1 day surface dry, and takes 7 days to full chemical cure.

After full cure, the paint and metal blade intersection line have about 0.3-0.4mm thickness from the paint, making it doesnt feel smooth when slicing. So I use sand paper sand down the paint, making the paint is more gradual from the metal cutting blade up.

And this is final product: paint sticks well, black paint never so easily fall out again.

Thanks for reading, hope you all like what I do and presented.

20928817231_f00af01043_z_d.jpg

20921471945_01e2d9cb0d_z_d.jpg

Well that is one way to retain a kurouchi finish. Is the paint food safe? :whistling:

I believe is safe, after chemical cure, it like a plastic.

Likely no less safe than whatever their "kurouchi" was...

Yes, is remove existing unreliable coating and add on more lasting coating to protect the blade.

Trying different type of knife, what stone you are talking about.

has anybody tried stripping the KU and then etching it? i kind of want to get a petty one of these cause theyre so cheap and i need one to use at home.

Don't bother...waviest blade ever. Doesn't matter how you finish it if it won't cut worth a ****. I stripped and re-handled mine and now use it as a steak knife since it doesn't bother me to cut on plates, etc... Worst knife purchase ever which says a lot considering how little it cost.

Back